+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Adventures of the ElectroNumpty DCB1

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Decided to knock up some speaker cable, latest goodies from Valab Rhodium plated plugs and spades. They look nice and feel subtantial for the prisce , about £24 for 4. Just waiting for the cable now .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Well while the Government decided to eat itself today I did something far more important and changed the power caps on the pre . Photos showing old and new caps with heart surgery on the board. The new Mundorfs are shorter but a bit fatter than the Nichicons.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Fitted new bling !

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Back in place and working to my relief!

Bigman80 Guest

Well done mate. Any change to the sound?

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

gimme chance cooking dinner! lol

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Will have a listen later tonight and report back 1st impressions!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Hi Oliver

Dinner cooked and scoffed lol so some very initial observations.

Ok so big caveat with these comments here of only 1 album played (Zep 4) but some notable difference already which I think is worth commenting on and not what I expected either.

At first the bass was recessed and slightly woolly at the start of the album sounding "far away" , but there was still the usual amount of detail and treble seemed to have better timbre and presence for want of a better word. The recessed bass made it seem quieter than usual so I had to turn the volume up a few notches (say from the usual 1-2 o'clock to about 4-5!) to get the usual feel.

Things progressed however and by the end of the 1st side there was more bass presence and volume with it so something is opening up.

The thing I noticed by the end of the 2nd side (and as an early comparison to the original power cap set up) was the change in tonality of the music. It sounds more "musical" for want of a better word , the detail and transparency is all still there in spades but the tone of it seems more natural. Before the change I was starting to feel the DCB1 was sounding almost slightly dry and too analytical, this was only a vague feeling, it was not at all unpleasant to listen to and I still loved it but I just needed "something" a bit different with it. It was a vague and intangible feeling, but I think I know what now, even at this very early comparative stage.

Can't say that I expected such an immediate impact with this.

So 1 impressions but I think I'm going to like this change! More when I have had a more involved listen.

Cheers Andy

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Hi Oliver

Dinner cooked and scoffed lol so some very initial observations.

Ok so big caveat with these comments here of only 1 album played (Zep 4) but some notable difference already which I think is worth commenting on and not what I expected either.

At first the bass was recessed and slightly woolly at the start of the album sounding "far away" , but there was still the usual amount of detail and treble seemed to have better timbre and presence for want of a better word. The recessed bass made it seem quieter than usual so I had to turn the volume up a few notches (say from the usual 1-2 o'clock to about 4-5!) to get the usual feel.

Things progressed however and by the end of the 1st side there was more bass presence and volume with it so something is opening up.

The thing I noticed by the end of the 2nd side (and as an early comparison to the original power cap set up) was the change in tonality of the music. It sounds more "musical" for want of a better word , the detail and transparency is all still there in spades but the tone of it seems more natural. Before the change I was starting to feel the DCB1 was sounding almost slightly dry and too analytical, this was only a vague feeling, it was not at all unpleasant to listen to and I still loved it but I just needed "something" a bit different with it. It was a vague and intangible feeling, but I think I know what now, even at this very early comparative stage.

Can't say that I expected such an immediate impact with this.

So 1 impressions but I think I'm going to like this change! More when I have had a more involved listen.

Cheers Andy
    Cool! I usually find whenever Mundirf caps are added that they bring a smoothness, which I think is kind of what your describing?

Anyhoo, you're happy and that's all that matters. Well done

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Thanks , yes smoothness is definitely a part of it. Its not boring or with a loss of detail though. I'll let them bed in some more before commenting again though.

As an aside I notice the case is warmer when playing than it was with the Nicicons fitted , not massively so but a good couple of degrees so something else is going on there lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast