+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Adventures of the ElectroNumpty DCB1

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Thanks , yes smoothness is definitely a part of it. Its not boring or with a loss of detail though. I'll let them bed in some more before commenting again though.

As an aside I notice the case is warmer when playing than it was with the Nicicons fitted , not massively so but a good couple of degrees so something else is going on there lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Larger capacitor value?

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Same 4700uf but 40v rating . didn't want to muck about with values really and also gives a proper like for like component comparison to evaluate.

At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

Bigman80 Guest

Same 4700uf but 40v rating . didn't want to muck about with values really and also gives a proper like for like component comparison to evaluate.

Cool. It's on my to do list to change a couple of bits on my DCB1.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Well early days but i didnt expect it to make as much difference as it has so far. also the small Kaseis were added at the same time so.I don't know how much is down to them . But for £50 it's worth a squirt I reckon.

Bigman80 Guest

Well early days but i didnt expect it to make as much difference as it has so far. also the small Kaseis were added at the same time so.I don't know how much is down to them . But for £50 it's worth a squirt I reckon.

I think so.

Swap those red wima for obligatto and you'll be very surprised what a couple of capacitors can do

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I have a couple of things try for those, once all this has settled down.

Will reveal after these have been properly run in as my next mod

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ok so between times I've got about 20-30 hrs on these caps and they have settled down nicely but I'm sure there's more to go before they are fully bedded in.

They have certainly made a difference to the sound so far, there is no loss of detail but the notes and rhythm seem to last slightly longer with slightly more decay time. This means that (to my ears anyhow) the music seems more whole and synergistic "musical" I would say and less compartmentalised. I didn't think it was before when listening but the fact I think so now shows the difference these have made so far as a contrast.

There is, it seems an increase in some detail also, the best way I can describe it is that the amp is somehow quieter which lets more detail and better timbre of notes through. I can only compare it to turntable phrases like more "inky blackness" etc which are a bit poncey as a phrase but do describe what I am hearing

Anyhow I like it a lot, more when I have really bedded these in

Bigman80 Guest

Ok so between times I've got about 20-30 hrs on these caps and they have settled down nicely but I'm sure there's more to go before they are fully bedded in.

They have certainly made a difference to the sound so far, there is no loss of detail but the notes and rhythm seem to last slightly longer with slightly more decay time. This means that (to my ears anyhow) the music seems more whole and synergistic "musical" I would say and less compartmentalised. I didn't think it was before when listening but the fact I think so now shows the difference these have made so far as a contrast.

There is, it seems an increase in some detail also, the best way I can describe it is that the amp is somehow quieter which lets more detail and better timbre of notes through. I can only compare it to turntable phrases like more "inky blackness" etc which are a bit poncey as a phrase but do describe what I am hearing

Anyhow I like it a lot, more when I have really bedded these in
    Great stuff. Capacitors can take ages to settle down. My Mundorfs only just opened up recently. Literally 2 days before I loaned my phonostage out with them in lol.

It's great isn't it, playing with caps etc. Isn't it.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Yeah so far anyway! lol. the by pass caps next . in a few weeks though.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Well noticed a low hissing and fluttering sound coming from the right channel last night. After a brief panic attack manged to trace it to a noisy valve on the FB mono power amp. Swapped them out and it's fine , shame as its a nice gold pin telefunken. Still replaced with a pair of Mullards. so a bit of enforced valve rolling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast