+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Adventures of the ElectroNumpty DCB1

I'm John.

Great pictures EN! Any chance of some flowery waffle about the differences in sound after changing each component?

I think you should notice a change when you repace the Wima capacitors for something more exotic. I can recommend Mundorf Supreme but they are massive so difficult to fit in easily.

I really enjoy threads like this

I'm Alan.

Small point, your point 3 - they aren't signal caps they are bypass caps for the regulators.
    Great pics.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Great pictures EN! Any chance of some flowery waffle about the differences in sound after changing each component?

I think you should notice a change when you repace the Wima capacitors for something more exotic. I can recommend Mundorf Supreme but they are massive so difficult to fit in easily.

I really enjoy threads like this
    Input Obbligato Gold's in and would highly recommend those.

I'm Edward.

I really should stop looking at brilliant threads like this as it increases the danger of asking one of you builders to make me a DCB1.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Small point, your point 3 - they aren't signal caps they are bypass caps for the regulators.
    Great pics.
    Ah, of course, the DC part of the name refers to direct coupled so probably not as big of a change likely then compared to signal capacitors.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I really should stop looking at brilliant threads like this as it increases the danger of asking one of you builders to make me a DCB1.
    You need one! They are really great

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Hi Edward
    Yes you could dispense with the switch and attenuator, and instead fit your LDR boards, or better get me to make you another set.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Andy
    I swapped out my Nichicon power caps from 4700uf and replaced them with Nichicon 10000uf, the result was faster tighter bass and a lift in the overall dynamics.

I also replaced the 8 resistors around the realay to Audionote, the result was better focus, sweeter topend.

Tried it with a previous build and didn't like it

Good look with your changes.

Steve..

Thanks Steve, I read that better power caps should give a better bass response so that mirrors your findings. Planning to use the same capacitance 4700uf but better components so will see.
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    That is some real professional looking work! Your wire routing is nice and neat, connections look clean. Most impressive, I wish I could hear it.

And from your outline I think you are on the right path to better sound. So nice to have something to be proud of, when someone comments how great it sounds you can tell them you built it! How cool is that?

Russell
    Thanks that's very kind, and yes it is cool!!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

[QUOTE=JohnJo;1084964]Great pictures EN! Any chance of some flowery waffle about the differences in sound after changing each component?/QUOTE]

Not sure I'm up to "flowery waffle" But I intend to add some "pithy observations" about each change once they have bedded in yes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast