+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the Voyd and back again

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I went back to analogue about 4 years ago as I became disillusioned with digital and virtually had stopped listening to music at home as I found digital generally a dissatisfying experience.
    I had a similar experience some years ago. Digital sound just had little soul and after an hour or so I was getting up to do something else. Instead of going back to vinyl I pushed on with the digital experience. The secret seems to rest in the DAC and overall power supplies. Now I cant wait to listen to my system.

I think the problem is that people, including me, assume that excellent digital sound can be done on the cheap. This is not the case, so be prepared to spend the same on the DAC as a good record deck.

Good luck Chris
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    In my view the best version of that arm, but others mileage has varied.
    By far the best version I recently purchased a brand new 312 aluminium it was a special build only 10 were made many years after the 312 had ceased production and sme moved to the 312s, the special build 312 aluminium has upgraded bearings for the v-12 and extra high tolerances, by far this is the finest sme arm I actually own way better then my V-12. I recently purchased another s/h 312 it is not quite as good. I personally alot of the music is lost in the the later magnesium arm tubes having said that I have always found sme arms to be a bit inconsistent and not two sound the same. I have heard series v's sound flat and boring and another sound vibrant with lots of air and energy. There are alot of parts in a sme arms and small details when manufacturing are going to make a difference I suppose. Arms like the graham phantom elite will be far easier to build with some level of consistency due to being a unipivot design.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Interesting, at the moment my 309 magnesium sounds dynamic, vibrant and exciting to listen to on the Technics, plenty of air with an almost explosive quality to dynamics, I think a lot of this is down to the synergy with the deck, I feel they work well together, how will the 309 match with the Voyd? I'm going to be open minded about this if I feel it isn't quite right I'll make a change.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Interesting, at the moment my 309 magnesium sounds dynamic, vibrant and exciting to listen to on the Technics, plenty of air with an almost explosive quality to dynamics, I think a lot of this is down to the synergy with the deck, I feel they work well together, how will the 309 match with the Voyd? I'm going to be open minded about this if I feel it isn't quite right I'll make a change.
    Personally I think it will be a good match, the most interesting thing is that another 309 may sound different. Generally the spring balance of the V sounds a bit darker and have been told way harder to adjust when manufacturing hence why many preffer the series iv and the static balance will provide a different set of virtues. Again I have heard differences between two series iv's all a mine field the crazy world of vinyl replay. I have heard a 309 on a Voyd sound great in the past, I like the saec arms on the voyd personally but that would be a mine field to get a nice example the Glanz 9" is also a wonderful match.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    In my opinion the aluminium 309, 310 and 312 were much nicer than the magnesium versions, I once heard a prototype aluminium series V it was sublime.
    With respect to the Voyd and arm combo the dealer in Denmark, (lydprodukter.dk) Henrik has given me excellent service and help, he set up the deck to demo it with an Acoustic Signature TA-1000 http://acoustic-signature.com/en/tone-arms/ta-1000/ and Benz Micro cartridge (I think) he said this worked superbly and was surprised himself how good it was, very open and natural he said. Bear in mind that they do sell some very good and expensive hifi so he should know his stuff. I have also been advised by a trusted UK dealer that this arm is also very good even though not particularly expensive. So an arm to consider if an SME is out of reach, for an alternative.
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 06-05-2019 at 15:36.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Personally I think it will be a good match, the most interesting thing is that another 309 may sound different. Generally the spring balance of the V sounds a bit darker and have been told way harder to adjust when manufacturing hence why many preffer the series iv and the static balance will provide a different set of virtues. Again I have heard differences between two series iv's all a mine field the crazy world of vinyl replay. I have heard a 309 on a Voyd sound great in the past, I like the saec arms on the voyd personally but that would be a mine field to get a nice example the Glanz 9" is also a wonderful match.
    Nari always interesting to read your insights, a lot you say isn't common knowledge.
    Regards Neil

I'm brian.

I owned a 3 motor Voyd about 6 years ago. It came to me with an SME 5 on it.

Guy S. was also helpful to me in getting it up and running.

It sounded fantastic and was probably my favourite of all the many turntables I had during that period.

I hope you enjoy your new Voyd. It is a really great turntable.

I'm Carsten.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    With respect to the Voyd and arm combo the dealer in Denmark, (lydprodukter.dk) Henrik has given me excellent service and help, he set up the deck to demo it with an Acoustic Signature TA-1000 http://acoustic-signature.com/en/tone-arms/ta-1000/ and Benz Micro cartridge (I think) he said this worked superbly and was surprised himself how good it was, very open and natural he said. Bear in mind that they do sell some very good and expensive hifi so he should know his stuff. I have also been advised by a trusted UK dealer that this arm is also very good even though not particularly expensive. So an arm to consider if an SME is out of reach, for an alternative.
    From a local perspective I can only agree in your assessment of Henrik. He is the owner of the distribution company exoticaudio.dk and and sells through lydprodukter.dk. A glance at the products he offers shows an excellent taste and I have newer heard anything negative about him (except that it is expensive stuff..). If he is positive towards a tonearm he doesn't import and sells it sure means something.

No affirmation etc.
    Last edited by Nonnegativ; 06-05-2019 at 18:20.
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    I owned a 3 motor Voyd about 6 years ago. It came to me with an SME 5 on it.

Guy S. was also helpful to me in getting it up and running.

It sounded fantastic and was probably my favourite of all the many turntables I had during that period.

I hope you enjoy your new Voyd. It is a really great turntable.
    I agree, I've always regretted selling mine, and now one came up for sale and I just fancied getting another, though I have been happy with my modded technics.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Nari always interesting to read your insights, a lot you say isn't common knowledge.
    I try my best and listen as much as possible, plus I have a dear friend who is not only a esteemed dealer but a serious collector of tonearms and turntables most likely the biggest collection in the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast