+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the Voyd and back again

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Is it a phillips I need not a flat.
    I've always used a Philips head bit, but who knows with yours
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    I've always used a Philips head bit, but who knows with yours
    yeah the psu, Guy might have put tork screws in but hopefully not.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Chris.

Simon it was a flat headed, but using the soup tins idea worked perfectly, I love high tech solutions to problems like this, all sorted now.
    Chris

I'm Chris.

I've had a couple of good listening sessions with the Voyd now and it's quite interesting to note some differences compared to the modified Technics 1210 I was using.

Firstly the tonal balance is very different, with the Voyd there is a lot more tonal colour, the Technics is a bit monotone and has a touch of glare,
    The soundstage is wider and deeper with what I would say is better dynamic contrast, it's very tuneful.

But the Technics is not disgraced at all really, it sounded open with great authority and tremendous sense of drive with superb bass response.

There is one area where I feel that the Technics is superior and that is absolute pitch stability!
    The first piece of piano I played and it was startling obvious, days gone down by Gerry Rafferty, now I'm not using a brand new belt, but I have got three new belts so I will have to try one.

I don't know yet if this will bother me much but it's a trade off.
    Chris

I'm Simon.

and make sure the brass pulleys are clean, they collect a lot of detritus from the belts. get them super clean and smooth helps stability
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    and make sure the brass pulleys are clean, they collect a lot of detritus from the belts. get them super clean and smooth helps stability
    Thanks Simon, yes I did give them a clean but will go over them again, I've had another play with the suspension and I think I've got just about right now.

Had a listening session last night and it's sounding rather lovely.
    So effortlessly musical.
    Chris

I'm Adrian.

So I have been playing with the Voyd again, this time with a new tone arm that was recommended to me. I have always wanted to try a 10" arm out and so as the Voyd can take one that is what I decided to do. The arm is a new JELCO TK850M. I found fitting it not too bad although setting the arm up needs a little patience, not a job to rush, and I checked everything several times.

I have listened to my 15 or so favourite evaluation tracks and in summary the result I think is this:-

The Jelco TK850M tonearm is very impressive. I expected it to be quite good but maybe not as good as it has turned out. It seems to be an arm that does not clutter or colour the music, far from it the result is a very open soundstage and it seems to get great clarity. I find it more lively than the SME IV that I own, I think that a sense of more rhythm comes to mind and hence it all sounds more musical. From my scoring across the board the Jelco is certainly at least as good as the SME IV, and in my estimation in my set up is pulling more detail out of the groove and presenting it very nicely. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, the SME is a 9.

So to sum up with the right cartridge and turntable in my opinion the Jelco TK850M is a bit of a giant slayer and is an absolute bargain for the cost.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post

There is one area where I feel that the Technics is superior and that is absolute pitch stability!
    The first piece of piano I played and it was startling obvious, days gone down by Gerry Rafferty, now I'm not using a brand new belt, but I have got three new belts so I will have to try one.

I don't know yet if this will bother me much but it's a trade off.

This is why I sold my Voyd 3 motor. I bought it on reputation and sold my well-fettled Garrard 401 to fund it, only to find when it arrived, that after using an idler, the audible speed wobble drove me nuts. It had a bit more air and space and all that, but that's nothing if it's making your teeth grate.

I thought it needed service so I had the PSU fettled and re-set up electrically (oscillosope job for the three phases), new belts, bearing service etc - well the air and space got even better but the wobble didn't improve in the least.

I had been borrowing a TD124 while the Voyd was being worked on, and pleaded with the guy who loaned me it to sell it to me.

I guess some people are sensitive to this, others not. For me it's a complete and utter deal-breaker and I've been idler or DD for all my TTs (main and second system) ever since.

I was running it with the Audio Note Arm3/II, Io2 + Kondo era AN S6c step-up.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    This is why I sold my Voyd 3 motor. I bought it on reputation and sold my well-fettled Garrard 401 to fund it, only to find when it arrived, that after using an idler, the audible speed wobble drove me nuts. It had a bit more air and space and all that, but that's nothing if it's making your teeth grate.

I thought it needed service so I had the PSU fettled and re-set up electrically (oscillosope job for the three phases), new belts, bearing service etc - well the air and space got even better but the wobble didn't improve in the least.

I had been borrowing a TD124 while the Voyd was being worked on, and pleaded with the guy who loaned me it to sell it to me.

I guess some people are sensitive to this, others not. For me it's a complete and utter deal-breaker and I've been idler or DD for all my TTs (main and second system) ever since.

I can see your point and if choosing one turntable it does makes sense to choose a deck that suits more of your requirements, I appreciate the Voyd for what it is could I like with one as my one and only deck no is the answer. I would find it difficult to live with one it would be almost impossible I still find the Voyd and Voyd reference engaging despite there flaws.Its like the pink triangle anniversary I love the midrange and too my ears one of the few decks that gets more out of the sme arms. I could own one for that quality alone but would still need another deck to do the rest especially when it comes to total control and stability. Its all about compromise and we take the option that best suits our needs.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

I think something could not have been quite right with yours. I have measured my Voyd - Voyd several times at 33.33 rpm and 45rpm, at 33.33rpm speed variation measured is between 0.09 - 0.3%, wow/flutter is 0.23-0.26%. I believe both these figures are very low compared to some turntables. From my understanding at this level you would need pitch perfect hearing to detect these variations. Perhaps you have extremely good pitch or maybe it is the type of music that you listen to that makes it easier to hear variation. I have heard wow and flutter on another TT but I am yet to notice it on the Voyd.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast