+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the Voyd and back again

I'm Guy.

I only found this thread today. It's nice to see a good number of people still getting pleasure from these decks.

I'm Adrian.

Just fitted a new Ebony arm board for my SME IV to the Voyd, it is from Steve at Magna Audio. It is beautifully made and fit spot on and the arm set up is perfect for 9" SME.

I have listened to a couple of my more telling test tracks and I have to say the the Ebony arm board has improve things a bit more. I would say that the separation is more defined and better clarity, mid range is slightly warmer and bass is more controlled. In fact I would go as far to say its bloody amazing. Considering my Benz Micro LP-S has only about 10 hours of use on it and is nowhere near bedded in then I am the proverbial Cheshire pussy.

Steve has also supplied me a 3mm brass arm board to try out, I will probably do so next weekend, after I have done some serious listening with the Ebony board. But at the moment I am not in a rush to change and setup yet again.

I should point out that both arm boards have been specifically designed to bolt directly onto the chassis, without the need for spacers, then are both threaded to take the 3mm SME mounting bolts, the ebony board has brass threaded inserts in the bottom. IMHO having the arm board directly mounted onto the chassis improves then end result sonically.

To mount directly to the chassis it is just a matter of purchasing some slightly longer 3M bolts on Ebay for a few pounds and after measuring cutting them down to the correct length so they do not hit the chassis on two of the mounting points. I left one long so that I could attach the earthing lead and the other end is held onto an arm board fixing bolt below the chassis by a nut, this is a little fiddly to fit and you need patience, I would recommend fitting it before mounting the arm.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm David.

That looks excellent Adrian, Steve's obviously done a good job.

I'm alan.

A simply sublime deck ruined by the inclusion of a SME 4.

Imho........of course.

I'm alan.

Try an origin live silver.

Or..........

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    A simply sublime deck ruined by the inclusion of a SME 4.

Imho........of course.
    Absolute tosh, SME IV's were always considered a good match for a Voyd, and I can confirm it works extremely well.

I am actually going to try a Jelco TK-850M (10") in the near future to see if there is any improvement.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm alan.

No no no.....and thrice no.

But it's your TT........knock yer self out.

I'm Nari.

No no no.....and thrice no.

But it's your TT........knock yer self out.
    Rubbish I have owned many Voyd's with various arms depending on cartridge choice the Sme IV and V can work very well indeed. Adrian has made a good choice in my opinion. In my opinion the Origin live silver is not a patch on the Voyd having heard one myself. If cost does not come into it the 9" glanz or the ikeda 345 would be my preferred choice. I certainly would not knock the Voyd sme combo.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm alan.

Great.......like I say.......Knock yerselfs out.

But better arms for a third of the price will piss on a SME4.

Would you like me to recommend a few......?

I'm Nari.

Great.......like I say.......Knock yerselfs out.

But better arms for a third of the price will piss on a SME4.

Would you like me to recommend a few......?
    Thats your opinion I have heard and owned plenty of arms how many offer the build after sales support not to mention the success of the arms. The sme arms are far from perfect they have there short comings as do most products but your comments are far fetched in my opinion that is. And to knock someones choice simply ain't cricket. When was the last time you heard a series Iv have you owned one on a Voyd we are talking about combinations.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast