+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 218

Thread: Into the Voyd and back again

  1. #181
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 4,316
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Got my refurbished psu back from Simon today, after an initial faux pas (I'd tightened up the motors too much) all is well and spinning vinyl again, sounding very good indeed, pitch stability excellent.

    The familiar Voyd open and airy presentation with authority and drive, sounding out of the box.
    The SME V has a familiar sound as I'm used to the 309, just a bit more authority and scale.
    Very happy and getting really good at fitting the belt, it's a doddle once you have the knack.

    Quite a noticeable change from the Technics in terms of tone and a much wider and bigger soundstage but I would say that the Technics was just as good in terms of drive and authority. And certainly just as good in the bass.
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

  2. #182
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Seaton, Devon, UK

    Posts: 1,851
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Got my refurbished psu back from Simon today, after an initial faux pas (I'd tightened up the motors too much) all is well and spinning vinyl again, sounding very good indeed, pitch stability excellent.

    The familiar Voyd open and airy presentation with authority and drive, sounding out of the box.
    The SME V has a familiar sound as I'm used to the 309, just a bit more authority and scale.
    Very happy and getting really good at fitting the belt, it's a doddle once you have the knack.

    Quite a noticeable change from the Technics in terms of tone and a much wider and bigger soundstage but I would say that the Technics was just as good in terms of drive and authority. And certainly just as good in the bass.
    Pleased to hear you are up and running at last and enjoying the Voyd and SME
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound


    Voyd the Voyd (slightly modified), SME IV arm(special build virtually a V) and JELCO TK850M(10"), Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

  3. #183
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 4,316
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Pleased to hear you are up and running at last and enjoying the Voyd and SME
    Thanks it's been worth waiting for, it's just got better and better as everything has warmed up.

    There is one small issue and that is the suspension is set a little too low, 180 gram records are not playable, so I'll have dismantle it again and adjust the three springs.
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

  4. #184
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Seaton, Devon, UK

    Posts: 1,851
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    When I set mine up I used two occasional tables the same height next to each other with the Voyd placed on them so that you could still access the adjustment screws underneath.

    Make sure the plinth is level first sitting on the tables and then adjust the screws with a 180gm record on it until the platter is 5mm off the plinth, get a piece of card and mark 5mm to measure off the plinth against bottom edged of the platter as you adjust the screws. If you use a record clamp then add this as well. I also used a small circular bubble level to check the plinth was level by placing it on the centre of the record. Once it sits dead level you will notice a sound improvement.

    If you do the above thenmake sure the tables cannot slip. Also before you move the Voyd make sure the SME arm is secure with a tie around it, and put on a stylus guard if your cartridge has one.

    Once adjusted then carefully put it back where it sits normally and recheck it is still level with the 180gn record (and clamp if you use it).
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound


    Voyd the Voyd (slightly modified), SME IV arm(special build virtually a V) and JELCO TK850M(10"), Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

  5. #185
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 4,316
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    When I set mine up I used two occasional tables the same height next to each other with the Voyd placed on them so that you could still access the adjustment screws underneath.

    Make sure the plinth is level first sitting on the tables and then adjust the screws with a 180gm record on it until the platter is 5mm off the plinth, get a piece of card and mark 5mm to measure off the plinth against bottom edged of the platter as you adjust the screws. If you use a record clamp then add this as well. I also used a small circular bubble level to check the plinth was level by placing it on the centre of the record. Once it sits dead level you will notice a sound improvement.

    If you do the above thenmake sure the tables cannot slip. Also before you move the Voyd make sure the SME arm is secure with a tie around it, and put on a stylus guard if your cartridge has one.

    Once adjusted then carefully put it back where it sits normally and recheck it is still level with the 180gn record (and clamp if you use it).
    Excellent advice, many thanks, I've never done this before though my good friend John will be popping round tomorrow to help, he's set his voyd up many a time, I'll do it as you suggest though.
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

  6. #186
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Manchester, UK

    Posts: 216
    I'm Simon.

    Default

    I just put a soup tin under each corner to get access to the underside when I setup the suspension
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades

  7. #187
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Seaton, Devon, UK

    Posts: 1,851
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    I just put a soup tin under each corner to get access to the underside when I setup the suspension
    That's a simpler option, and just use a stubby screwdriver, why did I not think of that
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound


    Voyd the Voyd (slightly modified), SME IV arm(special build virtually a V) and JELCO TK850M(10"), Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

  8. #188
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 4,316
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    I just put a soup tin under each corner to get access to the underside when I setup the suspension
    Excellent Simon, I was wondering if there was a more high tech way of doing it
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

  9. #189
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Manchester, UK

    Posts: 216
    I'm Simon.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    That's a simpler option, and just use a stubby screwdriver, why did I not think of that
    I just use a big Philips head drill bit
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades

  10. #190
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 4,316
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Is it a phillips I need not a flat.
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •