+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the Voyd and back again

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    any thoughts on the spacers between armboard and sub-chassis? I have a set of 6mm aluminium spacers, but normally use 9mm brass spacers as they sit the armboard level with the top plate, but I never thought about whether they would change the sound. Any thoughts? aluminium, brass or stainless steel? and possibly also the 4 bolts holding the armboard in place
    I had some spacers made out of Copper which to my ears sounded alot more natural than aluminium, brass was certainly more rocky while stainless emphasised the midrange further, for me copper was great. Plating the arm board changes the sound I have driven myself crazy with this so will nore bore you here. Yes and bolts do make a difference also how much you tighten them.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm David.

Any chance of a photo of the spacers, and were you can buy them. I may need something similar for my Technics SL150

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Any chance of a photo of the spacers, and were you can buy them. I may need something similar for my Technics SL150
    I had a discussion on using spacers and was advised that they would impede the transmission of vibration/resonance from the arm into the chassis and this was not a good idea as you want these to dissipate into the chassis and not be fed back into the arm and cartridge which will affect the cartridge and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Simon.

Every Voyd and Valdi I have owned, setup or serviced since about 1990 has had spacers between the armboard and the sub chassis, I have always seen them as a part of the design tbh.

It also provides a gap under the armboard for the screws or bolts which attach the arm bases for Linn, sme, etc bases without them fouling the sub chassis.

The spacers are something like this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272141969986

Either 6/6.3mm or 9/9.5/10mm

The "reference" armboard AN started supplying were 9.5mm thick, but the holes for the arm pillar mounting bolts were recessed on the underside so the bolts didn't foul the sub chassis.
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Just a brief update on my Voyd, still waiting for the psu to be sorted, there is an issue with it, but in the meantime I've had an offer I simply couldn't refuse.
    My Voyd now has an SME V, for £400 + my 309.
    I thought about it for about 5 seconds, I had to have it.
    Set it up last night, my Voyd now has some Linn parts, set of new hinges and a p-clip.

I'm also getting more confident at fitting the belt, just make sure you fit the rear pulley first.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    Every Voyd and Valdi I have owned, setup or serviced since about 1990 has had spacers between the armboard and the sub chassis, I have always seen them as a part of the design tbh.

It also provides a gap under the armboard for the screws or bolts which attach the arm bases for Linn, sme, etc bases without them fouling the sub chassis.

The spacers are something like this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272141969986

Either 6/6.3mm or 9/9.5/10mm

The "reference" armboard AN started supplying were 9.5mm thick, but the holes for the arm pillar mounting bolts were recessed on the underside so the bolts didn't foul the sub chassis.
    Thank you Simon, these could be ideal depending on which arm I purchase.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Just a brief update on my Voyd, still waiting for the psu to be sorted, there is an issue with it, but in the meantime I've had an offer I simply couldn't refuse.
    My Voyd now has an SME V, for £400 + my 309.
    I thought about it for about 5 seconds, I had to have it.
    Set it up last night, my Voyd now has some Linn parts, set of new hinges and a p-clip.

I'm also getting more confident at fitting the belt, just make sure you fit the rear pulley first.
    How old is the Sme V? in any case I would most certainly get it serviced you could be shocked by the difference.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    How old is the Sme V? in any case I would most certainly get it serviced you could be shocked by the difference.
    I actually received it via Johnnie of audio origami, it's been serviced and also the rotating socket had to be refitted, I think it must be about 20 years old but it looks really good and has also been silver wired by Johnnie.

It looks mean, moody and magnificent on my Voyd, I just need the psu now, so I have a very nice looking turntable but that's all I can do at the moment, is just look at it.
    Chris

I'm John.

Default wee cartridge washers

hope you love the arm !!!

ive got some new metal and plastic composite headshell SPACER sets if anyone is interested

1mm thick = 1 gram
    2mm thick = 2 grams
    3mm thick = 3 grams
    4mm thick = 4 grams

headshell spacer.jpg
    Last edited by Johnnie7; 09-06-2019 at 18:37.
    https://j7rewires.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out J7 Rewires

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557054222982

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie7 View Post
    hope you love the arm !!!

ive got some new metal and plastic composite headshell washers sets if anyone is interested

1mm thick = 1 gram
    2mm thick = 2 grams
    3mm thick = 3 grams
    4mm thick = 4 grams

headshell spacer.jpg
    Thanks Johnnie, I think I will, excellent work.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast