+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Slate is a relatively soft stone.
    Diamond Tipped Stone Cutting Discs and Tungsten Carbide Jigsaw Blades will allow it to be worked as a DIY Job.
    I would speak to a Stone Masons about surface polishing, as they have machines that can apply multi tonnes of pressure and produce a very high quality finish.
    I did this with my 9 Stone in weight, Granite Monolith Plinth for my 401.
    We are all getting older, so ones back is much more valued today, moving that Plinth was a worry.
    Pics please! Think I'd likely make a pigs ear of it, so best save up the pennies ……...
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm mark.

I've got 2 slate plinths here, 1 diy.
    I drilled around the cutout, then jigsaw to join up the dots, finish off with battered router cutter and angle grinder.
    Not a pleasant job, but we do daft things.

Be aware UK slate (Welsh and Cumbrian ) I'd still be drilling the holes, there's a wide range of slate available and certain slabs are as hard as granite.

FWIW, I use and prefer birch ply. If you're contemplating DIY start there and get a feel of the deck. Play around with dampening and try the Lorricroft design (top plate on squash balls) they all sound different, not necessarily better.
    I think sometimes we associate high cost with better as we've already gone down the rabbit hole with nowhere to turn around. Look at the 2nd hand values quoted here and you'll understand why there aren't many 2nd hand slate plinths around.*

*Retail for a 2 tier slate plinth is £1000-1500, 2nd hand value is fek all.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I've got 2 slate plinths here, 1 diy.
    I drilled around the cutout, then jigsaw to join up the dots, finish off with battered router cutter and angle grinder.
    Not a pleasant job, but we do daft things.

Be aware UK slate (Welsh and Cumbrian ) I'd still be drilling the holes, there's a wide range of slate available and certain slabs are as hard as granite.

FWIW, I use and prefer birch ply. If you're contemplating DIY start there and get a feel of the deck. Play around with dampening and try the Lorricroft design (top plate on squash balls) they all sound different, not necessarily better.
    I think sometimes we associate high cost with better as we've already gone down the rabbit hole with nowhere to turn around. Look at the 2nd hand values quoted here and you'll understand why there aren't many 2nd hand slate plinths around.*

*Retail for a 2 tier slate plinth is £1000-1500, 2nd hand value is fek all.
    Thanks Mark, that's instructive. No way do I have that sort of money to spend on a slate plinth! Westflower has very kindly offered me his old plinth free, so will get a feel for the 401 firstly, then just lurk around the forums until someone gets too old to change records for a slate plinth!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Think I'll eventually try a different arm on the 401, something classic like a 3009, would that and a cart like a shure M55 or whatever they're called, be a good combo for classic 60s beat/rock'n'roll? Read on another thread here that the Mission 774 was a good choice for the 401 as well, which is good, cos they're cheap. Is it right that the 3009 and similar arms are lighter weight and more suited to classic carts, and hence music from that period, like jazz etc? Thinking of running 2 TTs, even though space is limited in my 1 bed flat.

I'm Neil.

God help you, there are more answers to this question than you might have expected. Everyone has the one true way etc and there is little consensus.

I am glad you got the 401 though.

I would like a more conventional looking plinth, than the one I ended up with.

By the way don't go with squash balls as they deflate unevenly and the deck won't be level. Not sure myself what to use to get round that. Sorbothane balls are a suggestion, but they to compress and with the weight of the motor unit being heavier than where the arm is, same issue as squash balls will occur I feel.
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes I have a 774 with my 401. Great combo.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Starting to look at plinths. Is there any difference in sq between a cheapo one like this https://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/list...SABEgJHXfD_BwE and a 'full monty' Layers of beauty at £800? I mean its just a lump of ply right? What else is there? Apart from looks I see no difference, thoughts? I do like the piano black ones though http://www.dasacoustic.com/en/modell/garrard-401-9/ , sunken TT, they look great, but cost about £500.

I'm Michael.

Mine is made by Slateage https://www.slateage.com/ Superb looks and sound.

I'm Michael.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    Roughly how much
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast