+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I don't think it makes much odds what amp you use with a particular turntable, I think it's more relevant to consider what amp you use with a particular pair of speakers.
    Yes, more important for sure, but the idler drives do seem to have a larger soundstage and a more ballsy sound than other TT's, similar to EL34 valve amps? Just wondering about system synergy.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Yes, more important for sure, but the idler drives do seem to have a larger soundstage and a more ballsy sound than other TT's, similar to EL34 valve amps? Just wondering about system synergy.
    I don't know about the large soundstage; my experience of 301 and TD124/2 is that their soundstage is pretty 'focused'. My Sony TTS-8000 seems to give a much wider and deeper soundstage with a similar arm/cartridge.

I haven't run the 301 for a while, but it's certainly ballsy.

FWIW, amp is Krell KSA300S and speakers are B&W N802

I'm Mike.

Trying to work out whether the idlers are too much for me, I have a NAS deck as well, with a hefty platter, that I think makes for a more solid presentation, along with an EL34 amp the overall presentation might be too much. Just wondering what other idlers use, forgive the pun. Whatever system I have some of my favourite music like the Kinks sounds screechy at points, so looking to valves to smooth things out a bit, but wondering whether a different TT would help, was thinking Voyd, but used prices seem a bit OTT to me. I've yet to give the 401 a proper run in period though, don't even have a proper plinth for it yet.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andre.

I'm Andrew.

Trying to work out whether the idlers are too much for me, I have a NAS deck as well, with a hefty platter, that I think makes for a more solid presentation, along with an EL34 amp the overall presentation might be too much. Just wondering what other idlers use, forgive the pun. Whatever system I have some of my favourite music like the Kinks sounds screechy at points, so looking to valves to smooth things out a bit, but wondering whether a different TT would help, was thinking Voyd, but used prices seem a bit OTT to me. I've yet to give the 401 a proper run in period though, don't even have a proper plinth for it yet.
    Your going to have to plinth your 401 before you can get a grasp on how it sounds. Plinth materials do affect how the deck sounds but TBH a decoupled motor probably buys you all the same improvements a £3K plinth filled full of pussy litter, sorry cat litter.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Looking at the skeletal style plinths now, they have sorbathane semipheres in each corner, seems a good way of damping the motor vibration. Mind you my old SME 'bath tub' plinth has those sorbathane balls in each corner too, may'be this is as good as it gets?

[/url]IMG_20200504_204904093_HDR by

I might rent it out to a family of mice

IMG_20200504_204951928 by

The sorbathane ball is the black thing in the corner, bit hard to see.

IMG_20200504_204939602 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

I'm Adrian.

Looking at the skeletal style plinths now, they have sorbathane semipheres in each corner, seems a good way of damping the motor vibration. Mind you my old SME 'bath tub' plinth has those sorbathane balls in each corner too, may'be this is as good as it gets?

[/url]IMG_20200504_204904093_HDR by

I might rent it out to a family of mice

IMG_20200504_204951928 by

The sorbathane ball is the black thing in the corner, bit hard to see.

IMG_20200504_204939602 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    You’d be surprised what 4 soft squash balls can achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    You’d be surprised what 4 soft squash balls can achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213