+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I’ve used a 774 with my 401 and it sounded superb, a real bargain arm if you get one in good fettle imo.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm gordan.

thanks, i haven't looked yet at the bearings/etc.... this sounds as good as it gets now that the plinth is ultimate, i fear the differences with elsewhere mods will be cosmetic

PSU is a different story, it's planned long time ago but i have no time.... one day
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Mike.

So, gonna get a cheapie plywood plinth from Moldovia, they're about a £100 posted, I cannot see any reason why there would be much difference in SQ between this and a plywood plinth covered in nice veneer and costing 4 x more. One thing I do consider though is the tonearm being connected to this plinth, meaning it will pick up vibrations from the powerful motor, but aren't many of the posh plinths also built this way? Also if I get it cut for a Roksan Nima tonearm, can I also use that cut out for a Jelco 750 with the addition of drilling 3 small holes for the Jelco mounting collar?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Rega spindle to pivot is 222mm, Jelco, as you know for 9", is 214mm so you'd need a cutout sized accordingly and then a separate armboard for each arm.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Rega spindle to pivot is 222mm, Jelco, as you know for 9", is 214mm so you'd need a cutout sized accordingly and then a separate armboard for each arm.
    Thanks Martin, I didn't think of that, now to translate that to Romanian.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Where do I earth the tonearm cable at the Turntable end? Is there a general checklist to get the 401 running correctly, this TT is crazy complicated, so many levers! The controls are a bit clunky, but I am changing speed more than usual, having recently bought an amazing Donald Byrd 70s 12" single.

I'm Andrew.

Does your tonearm cable have one or two earth cables?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Patrick.

Personally I wouldn't earth the tonearm at the turntable, I'd earth it at the pre-amp using the phono lead.

I'm Andrew.

The tonearm may have two earth cables which means he can earth the tonearm to the preamp and the turntable.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    The tonearm may have two earth cables which means he can earth the tonearm to the preamp and the turntable.
    Personally, if it does, I wouldn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast