+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm Andrew.

Here's an interesting product I just found.

https://www.hanzehifi.nl/wat-we-doen...cps-2-english/

Might explain things a little more.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    A TT power supply is just that it supplied power to the TT, some TT power supplies also have mains filtration in built or rarely the power to regenerate the incoming power supply. A mains conditioner is a unit which sits between the incoming power from your house plugs and the hifi units that you own. It does what it says on the can, it filters and conditions the incoming power from the national grid into a cleaner power supply which supposedly improves your hifi sonics. There is a difference between mains conditioners and regenerators. I use a regenerator (the PS Audio P10) to good effect. Some claim mains conditioners suck out the life in music, so be careful. The speed box will not work on the Garrard it dosen't have enough voltage for the Garrard motor.
    Ok thanks, so I need to look for a regenerator, the Speedbox I can use on my Notts analogue TT, see if it makes a difference. So what does a dedicated TT power supply do that is different from just using a wall socket?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Ok thanks, so I need to look for a regenerator, the Speedbox I can use on my Notts analogue TT, see if it makes a difference. So what does a dedicated TT power supply do that is different from just using a wall socket?
    Mike, I think you need to maybe have a look at the PS Audio and Isotek websites. You will find lots of advice, downloads, articles etc which should answer all your questions. But I'll answer your last question. Incoming wall socket power supply is basically full of crap. Power supply instability will generate (albeit minor) fluctuations in the spinning speed of your 401's idler wheel and therefore platter. You will notice pitch instability, piano music being a good example. A decent clean, stable power supply enables your 401's idler wheel to spin with less fluctuations and hopefully improved pitch stability. Hope this helps!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Keith.

Have a read on Lenco Heaven about Nigel's Speed Controller. I built one and it made a very worthwhile improvement to my replinthed L75 and works well with Garrards apparently although I believe it stops the strobe light from working.
    Last edited by Marra; 01-06-2019 at 17:12. Reason: Sentence added

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    No posting to NI why? NI is part of the UK

I have asked why.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marra View Post
    Have a read on Lenco Heaven about Nigel's Speed Controller. I built one and it made a very worthwhile improvement to my replinthed L75 and works well with Garrards apparently although I believe it stops the strobe light from working.
    No lighty no likey.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Pavel.

Well, the strobe still lights up, it just doesn't operate at the correct frequency.

But this problem can be solved as well... For a price...

https://keystrobe.co.uk/product-cate...-upgrade-kits/

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Well, the strobe still lights up, it just doesn't operate at the correct frequency.

But this problem can be solved as well... For a price...

https://keystrobe.co.uk/product-cate...-upgrade-kits/
    Wow, may'be best just not start messing around with these things in the first place?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Mike, I think you need to maybe have a look at the PS Audio and Isotek websites. You will find lots of advice, downloads, articles etc which should answer all your questions. But I'll answer your last question. Incoming wall socket power supply is basically full of crap. Power supply instability will generate (albeit minor) fluctuations in the spinning speed of your 401's idler wheel and therefore platter. You will notice pitch instability, piano music being a good example. A decent clean, stable power supply enables your 401's idler wheel to spin with less fluctuations and hopefully improved pitch stability. Hope this helps!
    Thanks Andrew, yeh sort of helps, so a TT power supply is just a mains conditioner? Like you say just buy a mains conditioner or regenerator for the whole system. I always thought that what TT power supplies did was specific to turntables, but it seems not. Think I'll keep an eye out for a mains regenerator then, just missed one on here that was the same price as the Pro-ject speedbox I just bought!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    No lighty no likey.
    It doesn't stop the strobe light from working, but the strobe markings are calibrated for a 50Hz supply (UK) and if you adjust the speed from the controller then you change the frequency of the supply to the 401. There is nothing to stop you from setting the controller output to 50Hz and selecting speed as normal on the 401 if you want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast