+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm Mike.

Default Just got a 401

Couldn't resist the 401 that was advertised on here recently. I'm quite happy with my Notts analogue cheapie deck, but would love something as good with its own ON/OFF and speed change buttons!! No idea how the presentation will differ, or whether I will like it, but just thought I'd get a few pointers about plinths etc. I just bought the motor unit, I have a Jelco 750D on the NA so I'm gonna use that, my cart is a Nag MP 200. So, anyone know where I can get a decent plinth, not too expensive? I guess that rules out slate? What makes the more expensive plinths better? I see ones on Ebay from Eastern Europe, just plywood I think, for around a £100, what is the difference between those and a layers of beauty one for instance? I mean the cut out is so basic, the rest is just a lump of material for the TT to sit in. Of course if anybody's got a spare one lying around...…….
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Couldn't resist the 401 that was advertised on here recently. I'm quite happy with my Notts analogue cheapie deck, but would love something as good with its own ON/OFF and speed change buttons!! No idea how the presentation will differ, or whether I will like it, but just thought I'd get a few pointers about plinths etc. I just bought the motor unit, I have a Jelco 750D on the NA so I'm gonna use that, my cart is a Nag MP 200. So, anyone know where I can get a decent plinth, not too expensive? I guess that rules out slate? What makes the more expensive plinths better? I see ones on Ebay from Eastern Europe, just plywood I think, for around a £100, what is the difference between those and a layers of beauty one for instance? I mean the cut out is so basic, the rest is just a lump of material for the TT to sit in. Of course if anybody's got a spare one lying around...…….
    I'd totally recommend a Panzerholtz plinth if you can find someone to make it. Angus did mine and it's just rock solid and sounds fantastic. I think Nick? At NWA has his in slate. That one sounded good.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'd totally recommend a Panzerholtz plinth if you can find someone to make it. Angus did mine and it's just rock solid and sounds fantastic. I think Nick? At NWA has his in slate. That one sounded good.
    The 401 was serviced at NWA actually. They don't put prices on their website for plinths though, you know its going to be reassuringly expensive!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Can vouch for Russ Collinson layers of beauty plinths . Excellent.
    But if you want a freebie I have this in the shed
    And can drop to Portslade (I see you are in Brighton)
    I suppose the top plate can be cut for any other arm
    Will just need some attention...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...me+2000+plinth
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Geoff.

Try Ebay. I had a slate plinthed 401 and loved it. At £100, you may pick up a used plinth if you are very lucky.

Enjoy the 401, they're a great deck.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mine is in a twin tier slate plinth. Try picking up some slabs of slate from a stonemason and either cut them out yourself or find a local place with CNC facilities that will do it for you. I’ve heard 401’s in various plinths and slate sounds best to my ears.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

I agree that slate is a great option.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Can vouch for Russ Collinson layers of beauty plinths . Excellent.
    But if you want a freebie I have this in the shed
    And can drop to Portslade (I see you are in Brighton)
    I suppose the top plate can be cut for any other arm
    Will just need some attention...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...me+2000+plinth
    Hi Adam, that would be much appreciated!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Mine is in a twin tier slate plinth. Try picking up some slabs of slate from a stonemason and either cut them out yourself or find a local place with CNC facilities that will do it for you. I’ve heard 401’s in various plinths and slate sounds best to my ears.
    How does one cut slate? I suppose stone age man must have done it!

I'm John.

Slate is a relatively soft stone.
    Diamond Tipped Stone Cutting Discs and Tungsten Carbide Jigsaw Blades will allow it to be worked as a DIY Job.
    I would speak to a Stone Masons about surface polishing, as they have machines that can apply multi tonnes of pressure and produce a very high quality finish.
    I did this with my 9 Stone in weight, Granite Monolith Plinth for my 401.
    We are all getting older, so ones back is much more valued today, moving that Plinth was a worry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast