+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 92

Thread: Just got a 401

  1. #31
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 1,033
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    The Jelco 750 works a treat with the 401, and it doesn't look out of place

    That's a nice compact plinth.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  2. #32
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 41,267
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Cheers guy, the Misson 774 appears to be quite cheap as well. Will keep an eye out for one. Any typical carts to match?
    Take your pick. The 774 will work well with just about any cartridge, MM or MC, high compliance or low compliance, just vary the fluid damping to suit. I sometimes add a weight at the headshell with stiffer MC's, but that's only 'cos I'm too lazy to swap damping fluid or paddles.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  3. #33
    Join Date: Nov 2010

    Location: Yorkshire

    Posts: 7,902
    I'm AnDreW.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    . What do you mean by 'real sound' tonearm? .
    Real sound was a concept made popular by Jeff Day over on the now defunct jeffs place blog, it can now be found here https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback...o-jeffs-place/ basically its one man's journey into using various vintage hifi, alongside tinned copper and duelund components. It's a bit obsessive but I enjoy reading it. For fun, I made up a small "real sound" system, compromising of The Garrard 301, the SME 3009 tonearm (wired with original tinned copper tonearm wiring and tonearm cable), a highly modded EAR 834 clone, and some IC's and speaker cable made up from Duelund components, and a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 speaker that I rewired with Duelund cable. It's basically a very relaxed sounding system which is great fun. I don't take it seriously but it does sound pretty good and works even better after a dose of single malt!!!
    SS

    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DAC Caiman SEG+15V PSU+Dorado DECK 1210 Mat SPH SSS Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe/Ebony PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

    VALVE

    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modified) AMP Sondex S100 (Modified) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Reference XO DECKS Garrard301/401 (Bastin) Mat Teunto Bearing 401 Plinth Moldovan Arms 3009/3012(Ikeda Ag wired) PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister v2 / Royall N SPU's CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ Speaker 10mm Cu + WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostage Paradise(4 Box Modded) / EAR 834 Clone (modded)

    REAL SOUND


    PRE Radford SC25 (Mullard ECC83/82) POWER RADFORD STA25 Renaissance (Electroharmonix EL34) SPEAKERS Celestion Ditton 15 (Duelund Rewired/Jantzen Recapped) CABLES Speaker - Duelund AWG 12IC - Belden 8402+Switchcraft RCA

    WEBSITE - WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/WAKEFIELDAUDIO

  4. #34
    Join Date: Sep 2011

    Location: Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland

    Posts: 453
    I'm stuart.

    Default

    Just watch, there are 2 versions of the 774, you need this one:



    and not this one:

    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, Monitor Audio PL300, Tannoy Mansfield 15" HPD's.

  5. #35
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 1,033
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Just watch, there are 2 versions of the 774, you need this one:

    Not any?
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  6. #36
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,359
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Weapons? Arrow heads etc?
    They used flint for them. Not that you couldn't whack someone over the head with a slate thus inadvertently inventing an Eric Sykes comedy routine about 4000 years too early.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  7. #37
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 41,267
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Just watch, there are 2 versions of the 774, you need this one:



    and not this one:

    First picture not working for me. The second image is the cheap 774LC, made by Jelco if I recall. Not worth considering really.

    This is the 'proper' 774 arm. I still have three.

    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  8. #38
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 1,033
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    First picture not working for me. The second image is the cheap 774LC, made by Jelco if I recall. Not worth considering really.

    This is the 'proper' 774 arm. I still have three.

    Aah, images working now so makes sense.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  9. #39
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 41,267
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    A few things to consider.

    The 774 has a threaded 'headblock' rather than a headshell as such and only accepts cartridges that can be screwed to it from the underside. The armtube easily detaches for this, but it means cartridges with threaded holes don't fit unless the headblock is drilled through and long bolts used. My main armtube has been drilled through, although I have others that are not drilled.

    It would originally have been supplied with two bias weights and three damping paddles of varying sizes. Often some are missing, substitutes can be made though.

    Damping fluid can be a bit pricey, but STP (petrol) oil treatment works fine at a fraction of the cost. Fluid viscosity can be varied by mixing fine silicone oil into damping fluids.

    Never overtighten the scew on the armtube clamp. You can strip the thread or break the clamp casting!

    Very high compliance cartridges such as vintage ADC's, Shures, Empires and Ortofons can be used without damping.

    Decca Mk.V Londons work extremely well in a damped 774, but the headblock needs drilling for these.

    The 774 'sounds' different to any other arm!
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  10. #40
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 21,056
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A few things to consider.

    The 774 has a threaded 'headblock' rather than a headshell as such and only accepts cartridges that can be screwed to it from the underside. The armtube easily detaches for this, but it means cartridges with threaded holes don't fit unless the headblock is drilled through and long bolts used. My main armtube has been drilled through, although I have others that are not drilled.

    It would originally have been supplied with two bias weights and three damping paddles of varying sizes. Often some are missing, substitutes can be made though.

    Damping fluid can be a bit pricey, but STP (petrol) oil treatment works fine at a fraction of the cost. Fluid viscosity can be varied by mixing fine silicone oil into damping fluids.

    Never overtighten the scew on the armtube clamp. You can strip the thread or break the clamp casting!

    Very high compliance cartridges such as vintage ADC's, Shures, Empires and Ortofons can be used without damping.

    Decca Mk.V Londons work extremely well in a damped 774, but the headblock needs drilling for these.

    The 774 'sounds' different to any other arm!
    Or modification for this interesting combination: a 774 with the Decca H4E.

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •