+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I always thought that what TT power supplies did was specific to turntables, but it seems not.
    No, it is. For a mains voltage motor like on a 401, it is essentially a mains regenerator, but it also allows you to make small frequency adjustments to trim the speed, and larger frequency changes to change speed electronically rather than mechanically on the deck. In addition it's generally 'sized' to drive a turntable rather than, say, a power amplifier.

A TT supply for a DC motor (eg LP12 etc) is a completely different thing.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Andrew.
    No problems, glad to help. It's a big learning curve, the more you read the more you can get confused. Just keep asking away and people on here usually have an answer for you.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Michael.

Around£ 400

I'm Mike.

OK one last question! So, plugging your TT into a mains regenerator - for multiple use, so you plug your amps and stuff in there as well, this is the same as plugging your TT into a dedicated TT power supply?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

mains regen will give you a constant voltage and a constant hz cycle. both help tt's if the use the mains cycle to keep time. Ac motors. most are 230v 50hz and are handy , but if your mains is good then you probably wont notice any difference.
    Excellent for pcs as they have a battery fall back and your work hopefully can be saved before it runs out, and mains can be switched on again. Also great for Chinese stuff that uses 220v stuff, as its only 10v up, so wont damage them.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

OK one last question! So, plugging your TT into a mains regenerator - for multiple use, so you plug your amps and stuff in there as well, this is the same as plugging your TT into a dedicated TT power supply?
    You can plug your WHOLE system into one of them. Your TT gets it dedicated power supply from its motor which is supplied via the electricity into your house via the National Grid, this can then be conditioned or regenerated via an appropriate piece of equipment.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    You can plug your WHOLE system into one of them. Your TT gets it dedicated power supply from its motor which is supplied via the electricity into your house via the National Grid, this can then be conditioned or regenerated via an appropriate piece of equipment.
    Yes I realise you can plug your whole system into a regenerator, TT included. So doesn't make TT power supplies entirely redundant?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andrew.

So doesn't make TT power supplies entirely redundant?
    No it's not redundant it's still very much needed. You theoretically get even more performance by putting the extrinsic TT PSU into the regenerator and it's the purified power supply to the extrinsic TT PSU that's supposed to give improved performance.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Graham.

edited to avoid possible confusion.

I ran my 401 off a power inspired 1500ag regenerator for years and the LDA quartz generator is better. Presentation is more open and less busy while losing none of the pace. For sure, the 1500ag provides 80% of the improvement and solves the constant speed drift which is a real weakness of the early 401 motor on 21st century mains.
    But in a resolving system, the LDA is noticeably better. Compared to the 1500ag intended for more general office equipment usage, the design of the LDA is optimised for the 401 so it is perhaps not a surprise it does the job very well.
    I cheat a bit and run.my low consumption ss phono stage amp from the LDA too as it confers a benefit. But that's about it, it is not as flexible as the power inspired.
    However I would advise against running your amp or power amp from a mains regenerator (unless it has serious muscle). Every time I have tried it sounds flat and robbed of energy. Maybe on yawnsville audiophile music such as Patricia barber it will sound a bit cleaner but up the tempo and you will wonder where the pace has gone.

Btw, I wouldnt assume it was OK to run a TT generator from another generator. It is also very wasteful of power!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    I cheat a bit and run.my low consumption ss phono stage amp from the LDA too as it confers a benefit. But that's about it, it is not as flexible as the power inspired.
    However I would advise against running your amp or power amp from a mains regenerator (unless it has serious muscle). Every time I have tried it sounds flat and robbed of energy. Maybe on yawnsville audiophile music such as Patricia barber it will sound a bit cleaner but up the tempo and you will wonder where the pace has gone.
    No! Simply not true, have you tried a PS10?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast