+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transistors vs valves

I'm Pavel.

Reliability (although class A solid state amps are also known to have a lot of issues related to their thermals), costs (initial investment, regular valve replacement, electricity bills...), some people are just afraid because valve circuitry requires very high voltages, the valves are also a safety hazard if you have little children / pets etc.

I'm Geoff.

Amplifiers that have a 'solid-state sound' or a 'valve sound' do so because there's something wrong with them. A properly designed amp of either sort should impart no character of its own to the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Amplifiers that have a 'solid-state sound' or a 'valve sound' do so because there's something wrong with them. A properly designed amp of either sort should impart no character of its own to the sound.
    Agreed.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Hi Geoff
    I think you need to affirm which type of amplifier you refer to, rather than referring to each as valve sound or solid state sound, as there are fundamental differences in how loudspeakers then
    attached will perform if the amplifier is valve or if its solid state. http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/...ve_amps_7.html

The last part of your post though, is quite correct "each type should impart no character to the sound" But that's a big "should" , as listening to each type
    invariably finds there are indeed differences.

I'm Geoff.

Perhaps I should re-state my first line as 'Amplifiers that are percieved to have a 'solid state sound' or 'valve sound' do so because there's something wrong with them'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Perhaps I should re-state my first line as 'Amplifiers that are percieved to have a 'solid state sound' or 'valve sound' do so because there's something wrong with them'.
    That's much better, neither type should impart any character of its own, rather should just accurately amplify. Sadly that does not quite happen, but we remain in hope.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

These days I don't really care if an amp is ss or valve as long as it sounds good to me... I reckon that's all that matters...

I guess I've gone full circle with amps... I used SET's of about 8w for years but now have a SS giving maybe 200w... and I love them both as long as they are used within their correct environment
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Chris.

I'm not sure I can go along with this theory.

Are you saying that if money or expertise was NO object and you built the best valve and solid state amps that have ever been built on this planet then they would sound identical?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I'm not sure I can go along with this theory.

Are you saying that if money or expertise was NO object and you built the best valve and solid state amps that have ever been built on this planet then they would sound identical?
    No, what Geoff is saying is that IF you were to build the best amplifiers you could, they wouldn't/shouldn't sound like a valve or a SS amplifier. Those sound types are characteristics of an amp. The better an amp is, the less of those stereotypical characteristics exists.

I'm Paul.

How about the old marantz receivers 2215 2225 2245 (other 4 number variations available upon request) They had a valve type sound to them and still look good imo.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast