+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Transistors vs valves

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Didn't Colin Wonfor (of this parish) sell SECA (Single Ended Class A) solid state amps?
    As kits yes, but is a SECA the same thing as a SET (single ended triode)? I didn't think it was.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

But the question was specifically about single ended triode amps - I don't think there are any commercially available solid state amps that will mimic a SET amp, if there are they have passed me by. But it should be possible to make one, only a question of copying the distortion characteristics.
    Thanks for re-stating that Martin, that was indeed my question.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Martin.

Which I can't answer
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As kits yes, but is a SECA the same thing as a SET (single ended triode)? I didn't think it was.
    Single ended is single ended. Regardless of the amplifying device, valve or solidstate, both have to operate in Class A. I thought that was what Colin's SECA design did.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Single ended is single ended. Regardless of the amplifying device, valve or solidstate, both have to operate in Class A. I thought that was what Colin's SECA design did.
    Right, but a SET amp is class A the same as a SECA is, it's the triode bit that is different. I have no idea why. I know you can get amps that can switch between triode and pentode operation so is it to do with the way the valves are driven? This is all out of my depth.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Single ended is single ended. Regardless of the amplifying device, valve or solidstate, both have to operate in Class A. I thought that was what Colin's SECA design did, but oviously the best person who can confirm this is Colin himself.

For those out there who understand audio circuitry, this is Colin's SECA design:

Barry

I'm Alan.

I've got a set of Colin's SECA here, but he now concentrates more on developing his Push/Pull stuff. IME the difference can be very small.

The SECA stuff is available ready built, if you ask him directly. It is pretty amazing, and very robustly engineered. The last version I heard was very powerful, very warm and had ludicrous damping factor! However, it's never likely to be available from the webshop as a standard product.

The great thing about SS single ended class A is the stupendous bass. ��
    https://www.abcaudio.biz/. Representing EWA audio designs by Colin Wonfor

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    These days I don't really care if an amp is ss or valve as long as it sounds good to me... I reckon that's all that matters...

I guess I've gone full circle with amps... I used SET's of about 8w for years but now have a SS giving maybe 200w... and I love them both as long as they are used within their correct environment
    Wot She said...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Amplifiers that have a 'solid-state sound' or a 'valve sound' do so because there's something wrong with them. A properly designed amp of either sort should impart no character of its own to the sound.
    Nail head
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Wot She said...

So maybe I don't talk utter rubbish all the time
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast