+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transistors vs valves

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What I find sometimes on forums is that people only read what the want to read. To any man and his dog, sticking two amplifiers of exactly the same spec together, should show that the sound is the exactly the same.

That's called quality control.

Any company throwing out identical amplifiers, that sound different to the exact same model next to it, is going to be in trouble. Hence my utter reluctance to chase a fabled "when you get a good one....." Decca cartridge etc.

My point was, when amplifiers get to a certain point in quality, it's almost impossible to say whether it's a valve amp or a SS amp. That's been my experience, and that's what I was trying to express but as I said, either it wasn't read that way or the point didn't convey.

If you HAVEN'T heard that first hand, you need to get out and have a listen to some amplifiers.

I still haven't looked up the spec of Nick Gorham's MFA Monoblocks. I don't know what the build is and I couldn't tell from listening to them. Anthony TD does amplifiers that reportedly do the same, as does my Krell.

The characteristics of valves or SS are what they are, when you get to that level of build quality, you wouldn't be able to tell from listening.
    With a better attenuator the differences may become apparent

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    With a better attenuator the differences may become apparent
    Lol, I'm glad you stick a smiley on the end of that

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    In people's opinion what transistor amp comes closest to sounding like a single ended triode amp. Output watts can be considered irrelevant.
    A broken one...

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dennis.

By definition, if amplifiers are perfect, regardless of the technologies used, they will sound the same.
    But of course nothing is perfect, and each has its own idiosyncrasies, as do digital amps.

AFAICS valve amps get little better than 0.1% disortion at best, and have highish output impedances, but SS amps are considerqbly better, and there is one supreme example, the Benchmark which is from memory 0.00001%, and has a low O/P Z.

It is probably true that the best examples of all are under DB tests conditions indistinguishable IMO

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    A broken one...

LOL

There's no 'valve' sound as valve amps can sound very different from each other, always makes me laugh when I see people asking 'should I move to valves' as though it was a sensible question. A good amplifier is a good amplifier regardless of what amplifying devices it uses, as Ollie says, once it is good enough then you won't be able to tell, or care, if it is valve or solid state.

But the question was specifically about single ended triode amps - I don't think there are any commercially available solid state amps that will mimic a SET amp, if there are they have passed me by. But it should be possible to make one, only a question of copying the distortion characteristics.

I had an amp designer come to my house once, I had some music on. He asked me what the amp was; he'd never heard of the make. Then he asks what valves it used. Told him it was solid state so he raised an eyebrow. 'Must be Class A then?' - Nope, guess again.

As usual with hi-fi most of it is fantasy, preconceived notions and wishful thinking.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

An amp can pretty much be what the maker deems it to be, either through design or on occasion incompetence .. Not sure i would go down the road of they will all sound the same if made properly, but it can be the case. Much depends on the design.
    I might add a good amp doesn't NEED to be expensive, just well made, and used in the right system
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    A broken one...

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Gary.

I think the lesser examples of each amp type have given rise to the stereotypes over the years, that and bad word of mouth and ill-informed opinion.
    Both can sound great and just like music, not necessarily this type of sound or that.

Me?
    I like hybrid amps:
    SET power amp with solid state regulation, and a solid state pre with a valve input stage.

Best of both!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    LOL

There's no 'valve' sound as valve amps can sound very different from each other, always makes me laugh when I see people asking 'should I move to valves' as though it was a sensible question. A good amplifier is a good amplifier regardless of what amplifying devices it uses, as Ollie says, once it is good enough then you won't be able to tell, or care, if it is valve or solid state.

But the question was specifically about single ended triode amps - I don't think there are any commercially available solid state amps that will mimic a SET amp, if there are they have passed me by. But it should be possible to make one, only a question of copying the distortion characteristics.

I had an amp designer come to my house once, I had some music on. He asked me what the amp was; he'd never heard of the make. Then he asks what valves it used. Told him it was solid state so he raised an eyebrow. 'Must be Class A then?' - Nope, guess again.

As usual with hi-fi most of it is fantasy, preconceived notions and wishful thinking.
    Didn't Colin Wonfor (of this parish) sell SECA (Single Ended Class A) solid state amps?
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Didn't Colin Wonfor (of this parish) sell SECA (Single Ended Class A) solid state amps?
    certainly made kits, dunno if he sold them ready made
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast