+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The donkey's set up

I'm James.

Nice looking set up, the retro furniture looks rather good too!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Wayne.

After some experimentation yesterday I think I’m coming to the conclusion that the new preamp’s MM phono stage might not be much kop. Basically playing through the MC step up into the C-Z1s phono input, I heard a noticeable drop in dynamics, and a slightly wearing sound, so I replaced it entirely with the Valab on MC output straight into the preamp’s AUX input and it was much improved.

Then I switched it so that the H-Z1 head amp is doing the MC step up, into the Valab set for MM output, into the preamps AUX input, thereby just eliminating the preamps MM stage. It sounds as good if not slightly better than the Valab only in MC output setting.

Unless the MM stage is not functioning properly for some reason, I probably wouldn’t use it when the alternative is so noticeably better.
    On the plus side the preamp itself does sound very good indeed

I'm Alan.

That's a little disappointing, I can give it a quick check over for you, be interesting to see a waveform through it.

Just looked at a valve Radford pre, that has superb performance, just about to give it a listen.

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That's a little disappointing, I can give it a quick check over for you, be interesting to see a waveform through it.

Just looked at a valve Radford pre, that has superb performance, just about to give it a listen.
    Cheers Alan. It does seem rather odd given how good the MC head amp that you've already seen, to not get the MM stage in the preamp right.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    I'll have a bit of a tidy up before I post a pic of the full system but for now here is a pic of my new Bergmann Sindre turntable -

I have now heard this turntable and to borrow from the US of A it is 'freaking' awesome.
    So quiet it is like it isn't actually switched on and such a phenomenally clean sound (no tracing distortion) it's superb.

I'm Wayne.

Thank you Alan, it did sound good in your set up.

Alan also sorted the problem mentioned above with the suspect internal phonostage in the Pioneer preamp. We listened to it last week and agreed it was a bit meh with flabby bass. He replaced the caps in the stage and it’s now much better and closer to what I hoped it might sound like.

Cheers for doing such a great job.

I'm Chris.

Always fancied a //-tracking arm; possibly influenced by a 70s Beogram one?
    Seemed logical to replicate how an LP master is cut.

All history now, as I sit listening to lossless iTuned library.
    Chris.

I'm Lee.

Ive always fancied a Bergmann myself and very nearly brought one last year myself when MAX was selling off their demo unit, in hindsight I wished Id have brought it, oh well maybe some other time
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Lovely looking system. Well done!

I approve of the use of monoblock power amps located close to the speakers.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Based on my own experience of vintage gear, although at a less prestigious level than you are dealing with, I'd expect the power amps to outclass the preamp.
    Preamps have always been more of a challenge in terms of sound quality imo, vintage preamps usually being coloured and less transparent than their partnering power amps.

I don't recall hearing a vintage preamp which was a match for what is quite readily available today.
    Hafler DH101 (with replaced caps, etc.,) sounds pretty good. Matches my Stereo Coffee (battery op) Pre-which is why I'm selling it (Coffee) soon.
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast