+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The donkey's set up

I'm fuckoff.

Congratulations, that's an amazing looking system you have there sir. The preamp really adds to the look of it; was it an upgrade over what you had before?

I'm gone.

Great looking system, Wayne, and congrats on getting the full Pioneer set!

The tt looks much better to me as part of the rig rather than in isolation as in your 1st pics of it, it's a bit too minimalist for me otherwise. I like a few twiddly bits on turntables.

I'm Wayne.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys

@realysim42 - its hard to say whether its an improvement or just a bit different yet. I really rate the Graaf pre and what it does. I'll say that the Pioneer pre is very quiet indeed but I need a longer listen.

I will say this though, I didn't scour and search looking for this set just for vintage reasons, the sonic quality is right up there with the very best I've heard, which is maybe no surprise given how eye wateringly pricey these were back in the early 80s.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Cheers Tony, good to know I’m not the only one who appreciates this fine set of components from Pioneer. It’s clear that at some point they just went for it, and threw everything at producing something esoteric and fine sounding. Love to hear this lot with a classic pair of 2402s.
    They are not as imposing as I first remember them, though that was some 20 years!
    Still have three pieces of Pioneer in my current personal system, those Pioneer amps leave some of their DNA in the TAD equipment of today.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    They are not as imposing as I first remember them, though that was some 20 years!
    You were probably smaller then so maybe that explains it?!

I'm Wayne.

Had a longer listen today and now better able to pick out the differences, even if I'm not entirely sure what's causing them! So, something about the H-Z1 step up into the C-Z1 phono input didn't sound quite as dynamic or wide as it did previously (when it was Valab phono into Graaf into same power amps, or H-Z1 into Valab into Graaf).

Put the Valab back in fed into Aux input of the C-Z1 preamp, set to similar impedance load and it sounds better to my ears, more palpable and dynamic. Scratching head. Wasn't what I expected, although maybe I should as the Valab LCR phono is extremely good.

This configuration also allows me to compare the C-Z1 as a pre directly to the Graaf too using the Valab as a common phono stage.

I'm gone.

Based on my own experience of vintage gear, although at a less prestigious level than you are dealing with, I'd expect the power amps to outclass the preamp.
    Preamps have always been more of a challenge in terms of sound quality imo, vintage preamps usually being coloured and less transparent than their partnering power amps.

I don't recall hearing a vintage preamp which was a match for what is quite readily available today.

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Based on my own experience of vintage gear, although at a less prestigious level than you are dealing with, I'd expect the power amps to outclass the preamp.
    Preamps have always been more of a challenge in terms of sound quality imo, vintage preamps usually being coloured and less transparent than their partnering power amps.

I don't recall hearing a vintage preamp which was a match for what is quite readily available today.
    Interesting, on initial listening with the Valab replacing the Pioneer step up and preamp RIAA conversion, I'd say the preamp is transparent and dynamic so the culprit is likely the RIAA/ phono input.

I'll be switching in the Graaf a bit later to see if I can identify the sonic differences to the C-Z1.

I'm Justin.

Well the transistors for the power amp are available still. £12 for two on eBay LOL.

Nice set up and oddball enough to be cool.

I'm Josie.

Love that system... Looking smashing.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast