+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The donkey's set up

I'm Wayne.

On the hunt now to find a cartridge that matches well with the low mass Bergmann tonearm, and my own taste and preference. I originally fancied trying a Miyajima but I'm not convinced that they will work on that arm.

Currently trying out a Phasemation PP-300 to get a better idea of the house sound. Based on this I'd be thinking about a PP-1000/2000. Couple of days in and am really impressed with the lovely open sound of the PP-300.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    On the hunt now to find a cartridge that matches well with the low mass Bergmann tonearm, and my own taste and preference. I originally fancied trying a Miyajima but I'm not convinced that they will work on that arm.

Currently trying out a Phasemation PP-300 to get a better idea of the house sound. Based on this I'd be thinking about a PP-1000/2000. Couple of days in and am really impressed with the lovely open sound of the PP-300.

Deeply intrigued by their lineup.

Whatever works for you is the right choice.

I'm Wayne.

Very impressed, have just kept putting one record on after another and it keeps sounding better.

I'm Adrian.

If you haven't done so already have a chat with Hugo about Phasemation cartridges, he can give you some good advice on the different ones. I did try the PP-300 and was very impressed, but went for the Benz Micro in the end as I got a great deal, if not I would have plumped for the PP-500.

Enjoy you listening.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Very impressed, have just kept putting one record on after another and it keeps sounding better.
    Always a good sign. I love those pieces that glue you to the chair and keep you listening for hours on end. There aren't that many bits that do that.

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    If you haven't done so already have a chat with Hugo about Phasemation cartridges, he can give you some good advice on the different ones. I did try the PP-300 and was very impressed, but went for the Benz Micro in the end as I got a great deal, if not I would have plumped for the PP-500.

Enjoy you listening.
    This is Hugo's demo cart he has kindly loaned me.

I'm Wayne.

So, some thoughts on the Phasemation PP-300.

It is in no way an 'entry level' cart despite being the cheapest in the range. I was drawn to Phasemation based on the reported character as being not 'hifi' sounding and that proved to be the case. It effortlessly reproduced music in a very convincing way that seemed natural and balanced to my ears.

Good bits -

* low surface noise

* good tracking

* balanced and even sound reproduction

* performs really well against comparable carts

* natural musical presentation, not 'hifi' in character

No real down sides really, I would not hesitate to recommend this cartridge based on an extended listening that Hugo has enabled me to have with his loan/ demo unit.

I'm Jamie.

Hi Wayne, long time no see...! Hope you're well fella.

Interesting thread, the Pioneers look very cool. Love the whole set up on your sideboard. Congrats on the Bergmann deck, minimal and just beautiful. I love their aesthetic. I saw the one below at Munich last year with a separate motor unit - looked interesting, I think the guy said it could take four tonearms. Is yours by chance the one Mark had at Scally '16 when he and Jim exhibited? I think he had a Sindre. The plinth is distinctive and reminiscent of a Voyd.

When we last met you had an Ortofon Cadenza Black on your Acoustic Solid deck/AN arm (sounding excellent, though with all your superb brandy a Red might have sounded as good - wait, there was a black Sharpie on your rack)! I guess the Black would be somewhere between the Phasemation PP-300 and PP-500 carts in price. How do you think the Black might compare with Hugo's cart if it's not too much a stretch? I'm still at Cadenza Blue level. Nothing about it I particularly dislike (and it has plenty of life left) but I wonder what the benefits of moving up the chain are. I happen to have another that has very long hours and could be traded in. Having said that, I dealt recently with Hugo myself (same Zavfino arm cable that Tom/Montesquieu uses) and the Phasemation carts caught my eye at the time. Like you, I don't think Miyajima is necessarily going to work well on my arm (SME IV).

Bergmann tt.jpg
    Last edited by batteredhaggis; 27-08-2019 at 16:50. Reason: added photo

I'm Wayne.

Hiya Jamie, good to hear from you mate. That was a good night at Scalford necking brandy and spinning tunes on Saturday night. Mark's Bergmann is a Magne, and it was seeing it at Scalford '16 that caught my attention and I have been quietly looking for one since then, and now very pleased to have found and bought the Sindre.

I never really got on with the Cadenza Black tbh. It sounded okay but then that particular system had plenty of meat on the bones so it kind of compensated for the Ortofon's rather lean and clinical sound character. I replaced it with a Hana SL which gave nothing away in terms of detail retrieval but sounded so much more natural and balanced, yep it really is that good for about £500! The new ML is the same but with more fluidity and transient response - have a chat with Guy. I would take the ML or the Phasemation PP-300 over a Cadenza Black any day of the week.

Hope that helps.

I'm Jamie.

Thanks for your great reply, very helpful! I've heard the Hana SL many times and thought it was fab for the money. The ML must be good. I'll watch this space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast