+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tape City in 'Nam

I'm Charlie.

Default Tape City in 'Nam

Over the last 3-4 years, my main system has changed from vinyl to predominantly R2R, thanks to the late Lodgesound (Stewart Emmings), who converted me to the joys of another obsolete format. Stewart bequeathed me his Studer A820 and Otari MTR12. His equipment was shared amongst his friends and his workplace at the BFI (British Film Institute) at Berkhamsted.

My other 3 R2R machines have moved upstairs to my study, as SWMBO could barely tolerate the A820 and MTR12, let alone the other 3 machines. As a result, my Platine Verdier gets very little air time now.

Main system

Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track

Otari MTR12 1/4 inch 2 track

Platine Verdier with GT Audio Battery PSU; Schroeder Model 2 & Allaerts MC1B; J7 rewired Hadcock 228 & JW rebuilt Decca C4E; Jolida Foz XT-R

TRON Voyager SET 6W/Ch based on EML 20B

Dolby 363 with SR/A modules; Pioneer CDR609; TRON Meteor preamp; TRON Seven Reference phono; Sony tape switching box
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm James.

Wow Charlie, actually seeing those R2Rs is wonderful, to hear them, must be something else.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Josie.

Simply wonderful, Charlie.

I'm also seeing the benefits of tape over vinyl and I'm seriously thinking of shedding my beautiful turntable.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Charlie.

Josie and James,

Thanks. James, once you hear a dub from a master tape at 15IPS, it's hard to go back to vinyl. The problem is the cost and storage space for the software! You end up spending far more on this than the hardware. It makes you focus on which albums you actually want to have (and which you can actually find).

Josie, I wouldn't sell your Schopper TD124, as you will find it hard to find another one. Music is much more accessible on LP than tape. Also, if you rely on tape, you will need 2 R2R machines. I always copy any distribution masters or dubs onto new tape stock, and play the copy. But as you know, getting it set up correct is even more important than vinyl. A small error in azimuth on the repro head can lead to losing 6-7dB off the high end. I always check the azimuth on the line up tones at the head of any purchase tape; I very rarely buy a tape without line up tones.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

montesquieu Guest

Bloody hell I thought my wife was easy going about kit in the living room!

Awsome all round!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Awsome all round!
    Yup. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I'm Adam.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Wow Charlie that is some system. Respect
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Some lovely bits of kit there Charlie.

Do you use the 1/2" tape machine to make copies, or can one buy pre-recorded material in this tape width?
    Barry

I'm Phil.

awesome kit , i see a nice tron seven there too .

i remember that reel to reel from lodgesound being played at scalford with a mfa and sounding lovely
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast