I rather suspect this may kick up a poo storm but here goes anyway

For the life of me I simply cannot fathom out the attraction of personalised/private/vanity plates on cars, I accept it's a matter of taste and what people choose to spend their money on is their business but the whole concept bewilders me.

The two main categories appear to be-

The owner's name or initials - Why? You already know your name, as do your friends and family and I'm sorry but nobody else cares. Would you wear a Tshirt with your name written on it? Hardly.

The make or model of the car - Again why? The car has badges on the front and back letting everybody know what it is and the manufacturer spends millions on advertising and brand awareness, so why stick it on the number plate? Those with an interest in cars will know what it is anyway and, again, nobody else cares.

A possible third category is business related plates, this I can possibly understand as I assume the cost of the plate can probably be offset against tax, however just look at that Pimlico Plumbing guy if you want to see everything that's wrong about that lol

I've asked the same things on several car forums over the years but usually just get back defensive abuse in return, or the standard "it's up to me what I spend my money on & I don't have to justify it to you" I fully accept that fact but it would be nice to hear why somebody thinks the whole world might want to know their name or what car they drive.

Anybody?