+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mesh Wi-Fi Systems

I'm John.

Default Mesh Wi-Fi Systems

Can anyone give me any advice on Mesh wifi systems?

We are having the loft converted and I need to get wifi up there. It is also at the back of the house where wifi from the existing router is weaker.

So I have been looking at various options and the mesh system appeals over range extenders (which I have tried before and been underwhelmed by).

The problem is that I still need to use ethernet cables for some devices, such as a NAS drive and a streamer.

The question is, can I still use my existing Virgin router to wire said devices to and just use the mesh system for wìfi for other devices like phones and laptops?

I know different mesh systems are configured differently so this may affect the choice of which one to choose.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    The question is, can I still use my existing Virgin router to wire said devices to and just use the mesh system for wìfi for other devices like phones and laptops?

In short, no!
    You'd need to change your Virgin router to work as a modem, and once you do that all other functionality goes out of the window.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neal.

Can’t you simply put the mesh system into bridge mode and continue to use the existing router features?
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Neal.

I don’t have experience of either of these systems but reading the reviews they appear to work with your existing router, TP link deco m5 and BT whole home wifi
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Here's the walkthrough for installing the TP Link system https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/
    When you get to the existing kit it's referred to as the modem, not the router.
    Which means that the front end box needs to be configurable to operate as a modem, and the Virgin router boxes can all be configured to work purely as modems, only when you do configure it as a modem everything else is turned off.

BT used to fit separate modems not all that long ago (I still encounter them often), and that's all the boxes do - perform modem duties.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Here's the walkthrough for installing the TP Link system https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/
    When you get to the existing kit it's referred to as the modem, not the router.
    Which means that the front end box needs to be configurable to operate as a modem, and the Virgin router boxes can all be configured to work purely as modems, only when you do configure it as a modem everything else is turned off.

BT used to fit separate modems not all that long ago (I still encounter them often), and that's all the boxes do - perform modem duties.

ive got one of bt's modems. it was used with plusnet as their box only had a router in. my current talktalk one does both. thought i'd keep it in case it was useful
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

If you're having this much work done why not just run an ethernet cable (or two) up to the loft from where your router is now then you can have wired connections if needed and you can stick in a wireless access point too.

I'm John.

Thanks for all the replies. I have thought of taking a cable up to the loft but there is also the problem of wifi at the back of the house, where I can't get a cable to because of WAF. That's why I was thinking of a mesh system.

I've had a look at the BT and TP Link systems as Neal suggested and I've found stuff on other forums saying that the BT system will work easily with an existing router and will only take over wifi duties. So I think I will go for that.

Cheers chaps

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I live in a Bungalow, by the nature of Bungalow's being on one level its a long way from the BT cable coming into the property (ie where the Router is) to the garage at the opposite corner and wi fi has always been a problem throughout the property.

As I have a Heat pump for heating and hot water and PV panels all positioned either in or on the garage, both of which need to talk to the internet it was always a struggle until I bought a Mesh Wi Fi System.

I bought this one

https://topnewreview.com/tenda-nova-mw6-review/

I use it with my original router with no problems at all.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Rob.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/lose...ter-71334.html

Repeaters cause a slight drop in signal quality, as they are not 100 percent efficient at re-transmitting. A signal received from a repeater 50 feet away will not be quite as strong as an equivalent signal received from an AP 50 feet away. To avoid this, place your repeater closer to your AP than your clients, as this gives the repeater a stronger signal to work with. In addition, avoid having signals repeated several times if possible.
    Rob.