+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audiolab 8000A try out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Loz.

Default Audiolab 8000A try out

It's been a long while since I made any meaningful changes to my set up. However I have an Audiolab 8000A integrated on loan just now and I'm impressed. It seems to have a lot more balls that the Arcam Delta 60 I've been using since the dawn of time and a grip on my Kef Reference 103's that i have been missing I think. Listening to Genesis - Supper's Ready on Seconds Out for example, can sound a bit too subdued, but through the Audiolab it really comes forward and the powerful sections really are up front and with clarity. The TT is still my beloved Thorens TD160 with a Denon DL110 MC through a Firebottle Plus phonostage into the Kef's. I wanted to change the Arcam a long time ago but since renovating our house any funds to buy something decent have disappeared into a black hole. Could this Audiolab be the cheap short term answer I'm looking for?

Cheers

Loz

I'm Adrian.

I remember this Amp in the day and they were pretty well thought of, these reviews hold that up, although the second one points out some things to consider.

http://www.audioreview.com/product/a...lab/8000a.html

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/au...amplifier.html

If its been looked after and not too pricey £150-£250 depending on how good, there is is serviced one for £200 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audiolab-...oAAOSwj~Vcq1kO
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martyn.

I have used an 8000A for years and it matches my Spendor BC1s perfectly. I can imagine it wouldn’t sound so good with bright/forward speakers.
    It has just gone for a service ( it was built in ‘93 ) and the engineer showed me how well it’s built, with quality components.
    He said very few modern amps. ( with Chinese components ) are as well built.

I'm Martyn.

It’s back and the service has made subtle improvements without losing the 8000A’s basic character.
    It is slightly smoother and detail is enhanced to some extent, but it’s still the Audiolab I know.
    At a cost of £100, plus £10 for a socket replacement, it will see me out...

I'm Loz.

Thanks for the comments. Sounds good. I might be able to get this one for a nice price too. :-)

+ Reply to Thread