+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what makes a good external tonearm cable.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm jamie.

Default what makes a good external tonearm cable.

looking for you views on construction methods,shield and wire type,ie 4 conductor from din then split into 2 for the rca's or 2 runs of 2 core to rca's,ground wire connected to shield? floating shield or connected at 1 source end only.
    whats your view?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Preferably, one that reaches the amplifier!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Preferably, one that reaches the amplifier!
    Quite so.

I would also add having the correct connectors on each end is a big bonus.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Andrew.

It's irrelevant really your still going to get vibration travelling down the arm tube. It all depends on how much you want and if can notice a audible difference.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    It's irrelevant really your still going to get vibration travelling down the arm tube. It all depends on how much you want and if can notice a audible difference.
    We're talking about external cabling: so the more flexible the better.

To that end, the outer sheathing ought to be either rubber or silicone rubber, or use none at all. And the cables should have a reasonably small outer diameter.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I bought some of this to try out, it's much slimmer than the average dual coax and nicely flexible, looks very decent quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sommer-ON...53.m1438.l2649
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugo.

Not having yards of über-stiff heatshrink at either end of the cable is a good thing too. It's amazing how many 'high end' cable makers don't seem to understand the need for tonearm cables to be reasonably flexible.

I'm Jonathan.

Having a Michell Orbe with the circular arm mount J would say flexibility is key. I have used a Nordost which is great in this respect and now have a Kondo silver which has been wired with two earth/ground cables which are both connected to earth on the phono preamp and it does not matter which or both are connected regarding hum as always silent.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Flexibility of the tonearm lead is essential for a sprung suspension TT. Less so with something like a Thorens TD124, and probably not too important with decks like Garrard 301/401 and Goldring G88/99s.

Since the voltage levels are very low, and flexibility is desirable, I would use cable used with hand-held microphones, such as Neumann, etc.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

I would say split into 2 separate 2 core cables as soon as possible. Most tonearms already have both channel wires in close proximity within the tonearm, so around 10 - 30pf capacitance between channels from just that.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast