+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long run of speaker cable?

I'm Gary.

Default Long run of speaker cable?

Due to a sudden reconfiguration of room layout bt SWMBO one of my speakers has found itself partially hidden behind a sofa, something that is far from ideal.

The only solution I can think of is to relocate both speakers to the other end of the room, unfortunately the rest of the system has to stay put. This will mean approx 11m runs of speaker cable (the room is about 7m but the cables will go under the carpet and one will need to go across the room as well as along it)

What guage of cable should I use for this kind of length?
    I'm not interested in discussions about brands or materials, whatever I use will be the cheapest copper cable of the correct thickness I can find, I've tried fancy cable in the past and heard no difference whatsoever.

Thanks
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Alan.

With an 8 metre run of 2.5mm squared cable I measured 0.125 ohms per conductor, so that was 0.25 ohms for the rum there and back.

With your longer run I would use 4mm squared, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electrosm...UAAOSwjDZYb3Ej

Message them to see if they can supply 2 x 11 meter runs. There are plenty of other suppliers.

I'm Gary.

Thank you
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    With an 8 metre run of 2.5mm squared cable I measured 0.125 ohms per conductor, so that was 0.25 ohms for the rum there and back.
    That measurement seems quite high. I’d expect it to be around half that.

I'm Martin.

Or maybe 0.025?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jason.

2.5mm˛ copper cable has a resistance of 7.41mΩ/m, so the loop resistance for a 8m cable should be around 0.118Ω.

I'm Grant.

Would have expected 2.5mm dia cable to be in the thousands of an ohm per metre, dc resistance
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

* thousandths *?

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Alan.

My measurements were made at 120Hz, not DC, so would include some inductive reactance.

I'm Martin.

Handy chart here showing the thickness of wire required for the length of run if you don't want to get roll-off

So over 11 meters you should be fine with 14awg, 12 awg if you want to be sure.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast