+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ronnie James Dio

I'm Steve.

This is a real shame. I really loved Rainbow when I was a kid, and Stargazer is probably my favourite too. However, he leaves a legacy to be proud of.

R.I.P.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Dan.

I'm jealous! I only got to see him around 5 times... and I decided against it on the last tour.... why oh why.

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    I have been fortunate to see Ronnie some 50 odd times in nearly 40 years with 5 bands or so. He was a serious talent as a singer and wrote some of the darkest, most poignant and moving, mystical lyrics in rock, despite his stature his vocal capability was simply awesome. I was fortunate enough to see some of the 1976 Rainbow Rising tour in both the UK and Germany one of the best live peformances anywhere, at any time in any genre Rainbow's 'mistreated' and 'stargazer 'rank amongst those 'other worldly moments' you whitness once or twice in a life time.
    My privilidge to have been at one of them.
    I am sure Freddie Mercury now has a worthy partner to rock in Heaven and Hell.
    Did not get to see him with Rainbow but saw him with Sabbath and solo
    Stargazer on the right system can still send shivers down my back
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nobody.

Even i think Rainbow 'Rising' is a brilliant album, Cozy Powell was a super drummer another musician sadly lost,not really cut out for heavy rock drumming IMHO but did a super job at it..

I personally think this is the best thing Rainbow did, this makes me cry now when i play it

http://open.spotify.com/track/1gTwc4ClRSY1o12yESUxFS

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Even i think Rainbow 'Rising' is a brilliant album, Cozy Powell was a super drummer another musician sadly lost,not really cut out for heavy rock drumming IMHO but did a super job at it..

I personally think this is the best thing Rainbow did, this makes me cry now when i play it

http://open.spotify.com/track/1gTwc4ClRSY1o12yESUxFS
    Arh yes Mr 1812 overtune!, Cozy was a tub thumper from the Bonzo mould, another great guy lost far too young he died in 1999 car crash M4.
    On the night if the gel factor was right between Cozy's manic showman trips around kit, Dio's soaring vocals and Richtie's faster than light fret demolition the spectical was simply spellbinding.
    Andre do revisit long live rock and roll, some very serious cuts on that one, Lady of lake, the Shed, LA Connection.
    Prehaps you guys might like to come along for Dio time line day @ Coherent we have a full dynamic headroom system in which to appreicate the great mans talent
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm ILOB.

Love to
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Neil.

I saw Cozy when he was the drummer for Whitesnake. Wow what a show. He did a drum solo, during his own spot along to Mars by Holst, it was incredible. There was a catherine wheel behind him which started to spin faster and faster and the fireworks which shot out from it was both awesome and very worrying, for us sitting in the balcony above and the management of the venue. It looked as if at one point that these flames as they hit the walls and ceiling would set the place on fire. Amazing gig imho.

Yes very sad Cozy is gone as well

I guess this leaves Coverdale and Plant as the only heavy rock vocalists of the old school left. I know you are all going to produce lists now but imho these guys along with Dio are among the best vocalists in Heavy Rock.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

Steve Walsh

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Steve Walsh
    I should have said UK vocalists but Walsh is amazing especially his vocal on the Kansas track Rain Maker off the album In The Spirit of Things.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I saw Cozy when he was the drummer for Whitesnake. Wow what a show. He did a drum solo, during his own spot along to Mars by Holst, it was incredible. There was a catherine wheel behind him which started to spin faster and faster and the fireworks which shot out from it was both awesome and very worrying, for us sitting in the balcony above and the management of the venue. It looked as if at one point that these flames as they hit the walls and ceiling would set the place on fire. Amazing gig imho.

Yes very sad Cozy is gone as well

I guess this leaves Coverdale and Plant as the only heavy rock vocalists of the old school left. I know you are all going to produce lists now but imho these guys along with Dio are among the best vocalists in Heavy Rock.

Regards D S D L

Don't know much about Cozy Powell as a drummer as I dislike all forms of heavy metal. However I shall be forever greatful to Cozy, as it was he who encouraged Peter Green out of his medication-imposed reclusive existence and got him to play again.

For that reason alone, the world owes Cozy Powell an enormous debt of gratitude.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast