+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Micro 4/3 Camera

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the LX100 looks the better proposition Geoff. I am in John Lewis today so will take a look. I notice their is a Mk2 coming out, is it worth the extra? Also do you get any dust issues with your LX100?
    I can't comment on the MKII but I have been very pleased with the LX100. The current price (plus rebate) brings it in under £400 which is way below the price of the MKII (and way below what I paid for it).

It sits nicely in the hand and the manual controls are well placed and easy to use. The lens on this camera is the big selling point. One very nice feature is the ability to "cut" an 8 megapixel photo from a 4k movie which means that on action shots one can get the exact image sought.

I am not aware of any dust issues but this camera has a fixed lens (albeit an excellent one). Of course, you can check for yourself if it suits you when you go to JL today. Here are details of the Panasonic promotions https://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/p...ns/campaigns/4

BTW. If you go for the LX100 then make sure you get a UV filter to protect the lens as it comes with a manual lens cover. I bought this one, which is highly recommended for the price https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Sherwood; 25-04-2019 at 07:57.

I'm Pavel.

I have been a devoted Micro 4/3 user since 2009, currently I use Panasonic GX85 (which is the US version of GX80) and it's brilliant, the in-body stabilisation is absolutely out of this world. I know Olympus cameras had this "5-axis IBIS" for years, but I have never been convinced by Olympus cameras for some reason.

I have tried LX100 briefly a couple of years ago, it's a great camera for sure, but I returned mine when it quickly developed dust spots on the sensor (and since the lens is not removable, it can be cleaned only by the service folks). Apparently it's a bit of an Achilles foot of this model, the LX100-II is supposed to have improved sealing to prevent this from happening.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I have been a devoted Micro 4/3 user since 2009, currently I use Panasonic GX85 (which is the US version of GX80) and it's brilliant, the in-body stabilisation is absolutely out of this world. I know Olympus cameras had this "5-axis IBIS" for years, but I have never been convinced by Olympus cameras for some reason. .
    I used to like Panasonic M4/3 but of the 3 I've had over the years, 2 developed faults not long after the warranty expired. My first (a G1) got 'sticky body' syndrome and a later one (a G5) got unresponsive or unpredictable controls. In the same time I've had 4 Olympus models and all have performed flawlessly ... and still do in the case of the three I still have.

The only reason I went with Pannies was because they had built-in eye level viewfinders which Olympus was very tardy with developing, but after the faults I experienced it put me off ever buying Panasonic again.
    Last edited by mikmas; 25-04-2019 at 13:29.

I'm Pavel.

I had exactly the opposite experience with all of my Olympus cameras developing annoying and sometimes outright dangerous faults (on my E-P1, the spring in the lens mount had failed and a lens fell off the camera when I was hiking in the mountains and disappeared forever...) and all of my Panasonic cameras performing flawlessly over the years :-)

That’s still just a piece of anecdotal evidence though. I think both companies make excellent gear.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    That’s still just a piece of anecdotal evidence though. I think both companies make excellent gear.
    I'd go with that

As with all tech gizmos - sometimes It's just the luck of the draw ....

I'm Grant.

used to have an olympus 4/3... i gave it to my brother who still uses it. was a decent camera. i prefer my little pocket, canon one now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Just back from John Lewis and after setting the alarms off a few times due to the very sensitive theft devices I had a good look at both the LX100 and GX80. In particular I was impressed how the cameras EVF was reasonable to use and not as bad as has been suggested in the reviews. I am still concerned a little about the dust problem on the LX100 so may go for the GX80 but I hear the Gx90 is just about to be launched so might wait and either see if that really is a significant upgrade or just stick around and pick up a cheap GX80.

I did look at the Olympus cameras aswell and actually preferred their controls and ergonomics however as a complete package and because the image quality has been so well reviewed for the Pannies I will probably go with the GX...

Can anyone suggest a good alround lens for the GX80. I was thinking the LUMIX/Leica 15mm lens?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Can anyone suggest a good alround lens for the GX80. I was thinking the LUMIX/Leica 15mm lens?
    I have two Lumix lenses I use regularly, a 20mm fixed and a 12-32mm 'pancake' zoom.

Both are great 'walkabout' lenses but the 20mm is particularly excellent (and much faster being an f1.7 prime) if a bit limited.

15mm would be, for my use, a tad on the wide side but great for landscapes and architectural interiors (such as churches)

I'm inactive.

doubled posting

I'm Shaun.

Apart from a DSLR I use an Olympus Pen Lite EPL-3 from a few years back. Bloody good camera provided you don't want large crops. Always loved Olympus from as far back as 1973.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast