+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decent portable sound?

I'm Daniel.

Default Decent portable sound?

This is a bit from left field. I am just about to finish yoga teacher certification. The studio where I might do some classes has a Sonos system, but I have trouble connecting to it with iPhone (I am not alone with that). I am thinking of getting my own portable solution and wonder about options. Here are my parameters.

Connection option from iPhone:
    - mini jack to use a Dragonfly Red DAC
    - USB cable
    - BlueTooth

I use Flacbox as my iPhone music player, mostly FLAC, some MP3s.

Power:
    - battery optional
    - AC power ok, I have a strong 110V battery from my studio strobes I use for photography.

Sound:
    well, that is of course the main thing here. I fully understand that it is not going to rival a proper high end system, but even with portables there are better and worse options sound-wise. And, I fully understand that the full benefits of FLAC files can not be appreciated on a portable speaker.

Set up should be quick (no more than 2 minutes on location). Should be reasonably shock resistant.

Output volume does not need to be high, music is rather background, as I need to be able to talk over it with un-amplified voice. Room size up to about 40x40 feet/12 x 12 m. I am looking for natural sound, not bass heavy. I have B&W CM6S2 as my home speakers (plus sub), and use Etymotics XR4s and Grado R2 as my headphones.

Price: try to keep it under $1K US

The most promising thing I have found so far is the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin, but seems to be no longer produced? New version coming? Anything else to consider? JBL (various options, not sure about details) and B&O Beoplay are popular.

What else should I look at?

I'm Martin.

Hi

You probably need to look at the more rugged portable speaker market such as the JBL "boombox" which you can google. That sort of thing has a rugged built in handle and its just easier for you to casually bring in from the car. Other manufacturers like JVC do them. These manufacturers have a good history of portable sound.

I dont think you will have to go anywhere near $1K

It wont boom as such (they are generically termed boomboxes for rugged portability) and could handle low or high volumes as you may want to use larger floor areas. That JBL could throw out some power if needed and be very confident at lower volumes

Its all about the image you want to portray but I would have thought you just want a good handle and solid build to carry it in from the car....the product has to be practical in that sense

Its where you live and what you can hear demonstrated. I think a zeppelin style unit might be less practical for work use and its pointless recommending some UK product if you cant find a supplier. Teac were doing a zep style unit and there are a good few options for you

All the best with it

I'm Steve.

Funnily enough, just been through a similar process with slightly different requirements.
    Having semi retired and planning plenty of traveling I wanted something portable but good quality... that also had an auxiliary input (quite a few don’t - it’s a lot about Bluetooth these days)
    So I ended up with a Dali Katch
    Brilliant bit of kit.
    Bluetooth quality is great, and aux in is fantastic when I need it.
    Sound Quality is outstanding

In fact I’ve now removed a 3rd system I had in the dining room and use the Dali in there. I have to say I mostly stream from the phone via Quboz.

It has 24 hr battery life.. so on holiday it doesn’t really need charging

Cheers Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread