+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Shane I've used lots of Mark's cables over the years and they are all very good sounding as far as I'm concerned

I'm currently borrowing Colin's MG's which are the ones before the current HDX1's and they are lovely

The only cable I had I didn't get on with was the Oyaide FTVS-510 pure silver, with WBT's, beautifully made as is normal for Mark but they just didn't suit the system at the time

Otherwise I'd very highly recommend Mark, and a super chap to deal with as well...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Shane.

Thanks, Bev. I know very well that Mark is good to deal with.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

He defo is Shane

Don't hesitate buying the MG's.... I believe Mark will take returns/refunds if you don't get on with them so you have nothing to loose, and I reckon you'll love them
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I've got a couple of HDX1 interconnects, I use them with my step up and phono stage, sound very good and well balanced to me.
    I'm inclined to think any thickness or bass heavy effect is a problem in the system?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I've got a couple of HDX1 interconnects, I use them with my step up and phono stage, sound very good and well balanced to me.
    I'm inclined to think any thickness or bass heavy effect is a problem in the system?
    Well Chris I also have never found any MG's to have any "thickness or bass heavy effect"... MG cables just seem to sound very good to me...

If I wasn't going to be making my own RCA, XLR or speaker cables then I'd definitely be ordering more from Mark..... great guy to deal with too
    Bev

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    *rolls eyes*
    Don't know if that says you like the MG's or not Oliver...
    Bev

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Don't know if that says you like the MG's or not Oliver...
    I don't have any issue with the build quality of Mark's work, he's very good At constructing cables. I didn't like the aforementioned cable because it had a thickness to the bass and lower levels of transparency than other, cheaper cables I've built and tried. I tried the MG cables against Mogami 2549, Klotz MC5, GAC-1, SOMMER Carbocab, Van damme XKE, Van Damme Lo-Cap, Silver/Gold Hybrids, Shark Silver plated, Amazon Basic and lots more!

I recommended the Mogami because they were the most balanced cable with good levels of transparency.

I rolled my eyes at Chris's comment, blaming the system for my assessment of the cable having thick sounding bass. None of the other cable's did it. Hence my opinion.

It annoys me when people blame someone's system when they don't agree with someone's opinion. Its a cop out. I could say, if you can't tell the MG cable has thick bass, then the system isn't good enough to reveal it.

That kind of comment just removes the value of any conversation or discussion about kit.

Its ok not to agree with another's assessment on the basis that everything we hear is subjective.

I'm Gary.

Not to a lob a grenade in here?
    But to agree that everything is subjective...

To show cables CAN have system synergy, even if only slightly...

When I had Oliver’s Spotfires in my system I found them (ironically!) to have a lumpen heavy quality in the bass compared to what I was using.
    Nicely open in the mids and top, but a plodding one note quality in the mid bass.
    Low end just didn’t work for me at all.

Maybe didn’t gell in my system, entirely possible as I’ve had cables that did that in the past.
    My kit, my ears as always.

Not decorum to say at the time of course, they were out on loan trial amongst the troops.
    Be polite, state the positives and pass them on to someone who’s system might benefit from them better, no need for further comment.

Just one man’s opinion.
    Sorry Oliver!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-04-2019 at 08:58.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Not to a lob a grenade in here?
    But to agree that everything is subjective...

To show cables CAN have system synergy, even if only slightly...

When I had Oliver’s Spotfires in my system I found them (ironically!) to have a lumpen heavy quality in the bass compared to what I was using.
    Nicely open in the mids and top, but a plodding one note quality in the mid bass.
    Low end just didn’t work for me at all.

Maybe didn’t gell in my system, entirely possible as I’ve had cables that did that in the past.
    My kit, my ears as always.

Not decorum to say at the time of course, they were out on loan trial amongst the troops.
    Be polite, state the positives and pass them on to someone who’s system might benefit from them better, no need for further comment.

Just one man’s opinion.
    Sorry Oliver!
    One note bass?

Interesting, but I disagree, obviously lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast