+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stunned

I'm Alan.

Beautiful machine Josie glad its all working fine now bet it sounds fantastic
    I am very envious

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Paul.

I’ve never heard a r2r tape but I’ve seen that quite a few enthusiasts swear by them. I know what you mean by putting the realism back into the recording to some degree. I’ve always thought that analogue radio in the car always sounded more satisfying than listening to CD. it didn’t sound clear and “perfect” but it did sound right.
    ~Paul~

I'm John.

I only ever heard a RTR once at NEBO a couple of years back. It’s was Steve’s (progmeister) Tascam playing a tape he had made himself from vinyl I believe. After all the swapping had been done it stayed on the rest of the night. I don’t think it made any claim to fame as a top machine or anything but it sounded fab, not in any hifi sense but was just so “real” in its delivery. To me it seemed to replicate the way sound is delivered to our ears in real life, not sounding like like something played on electronics. It just seemed to keep on coming, in a continuous, purposeful, steady, constant flow. Excuse the waffle but it’s hard to articulate.

There one for sale here in Dublin. Don’t know how this would compare to yours Josie.

https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/st...-reel/12942774

I'm Geoff.

The sound from reel to reel is only as good as what's recorded, it can't improve it. If an LP is recorded, then the sound you get is no better (and probably worse) than the LP!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

Well, quite. It is a lovely bit of kit but seems a bit OTT to record some digital radio.
    Account Deleted

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I’ve used my machines to record gigs from Sky Arts HD, amongst which are some fantastic sounding acoustic sets from various artists. No other way to keep these recordings as they were never released on any other media after being broadcast.

The best of these beat any other source I’ve had at home including the best of my vinyl.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

That’s the point I was *trying* to make Geoff, obviously if it’s a copy you’ll lose some detail (so in hifi terms should be inferior) but it’s the nature of the delivery that’s so beguiling.

I'm Geoff.

Possibly noise/distortion artifacts colouring the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

I thought it might be more to do with the mechanics of the drive system.

I'm Josie.

Haha... Well, it's my OTT extravagance and it's good fun.

I'm also going to record some stuff through my desk soon too.

Its the way it sounds. If the source is good then the playback simply more lush.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast