+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to streaming - again.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    need to be fairly quick to get a cca as they have stopped making the audio version.
    The Onkyo amp I was thinking about has CC built in Grant.

Pretty sure that Onkyo now own Pioneer.

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products...70-138381.html

ADVANCED FEATURES

160 W/Ch Stereo Power (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 Channel Driven, IEC); 170 W/Ch Stereo Power (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 10%, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA)
    Massive Hi-Current EI Transformer
    Non-Phase-Shift Amp Circuitry with Discrete Power Output Stages
    Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
    AKM 384 kHz/32-bit (AK4438) DAC
    VLSC™ (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) Noise Filtering Technology
    Dual-band 5 GHz/2.4 GHz Wi-Fi® for Stable Connectivity
    Supports Chromecast built-in*1, DTS Play-Fi*1, AirPlay, Spotify, TIDAL, TuneIn, and Deezer*2
    FlareConnect Multi-room Audio Distribution to Compatible Components and Speakers
    Receiver, Network Audio, and Multi-room Audio Control via free Onkyo Controller Application for Android™ and iOS*3
    Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Mobiles, Laptops, and PCs (Version 4.1 + LE, Profile: A2DP v1.2, AVRCP v1.3)
    Zone 2 Line Outs with Dedicated DAC for NET/USB Audio Distribution
    FM/RDS and DAB/DAB+ Tuners with 40 Station Presets
    HDMI Supports HDCP 2.2, 4K/60 Hz, HDR, 3D, Audio Return Channel, DeepColor™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, DSD*4, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), and CEC
    Supports Dolby Vision™ Signal Pass-through
    Supports Hi-Res Audio via Network (DSD 5.6 MHz*4 and 192 kHz/24-bit PCM*5)
    Decodes FLAC, WAV, ALAC, DSD*4, AIFF, WMA Lossless, MP3, and AAC Formats Over Network and USB, MQA
    Aluminum Front Panel and Volume Control Knob
    *1 Requires a firmware update. *2 Availability of services may vary with region. Please confirm before purchase. Subscription may also be required. *3 For iOS and Android devices. Check App Store or Google Play for OS and device requirements. *4 After PCM conversion. *5 Not supported over wireless LAN or USB.

CONNECTION FEATURES

4 HDMI Inputs / 1 Output (4K/60 Hz / HDCP 2.2)
    3 Digital Audio Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
    Gold-plated 3 Analog Audio Inputs
    Gold-plated MM Phono Input with Phono Equalizer
    Gold-plated Zone 2 Line Outs
    Gold-plated Subwoofer Pre Out
    Two Pairs of Speaker Post with Screw Knobs for A/B Drive
    5 V / 1 A USB Port for Audio Playback via USB Storage Devices (Front)
    5 V / 500 mA USB Terminal for HDMI Media Player Power Supply (Rear)
    IR Input and Output
    LAN Input with IP Control Capability for Home Automation Systems
    Thick, Detachable AC Power Cable
    Gold-Plated 6.35 mm Headphone Jack (Front)
    ADDITIONAL FEATURES

Graphical User Interface with Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI
    Quick Recall Preset Buttons on Front Panel
    Input Selector Knob and Physical Tone/Balance Controls
    Advanced Music Optimizer Improves Compressed Digital Audio Quality, Including Bluetooth Audio
    Direct Mode and Double Bass Mode
    Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/200 Hz)
    A/V Sync Control (Up to 500 ms in 5 ms Steps at 48 kHz)
    Front-panel Speaker A or B Drive Selector Button
    3-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
    Sleep Timer and Battery-free Memory Back-up
    Full-sized RI Remote Controller
    Network Standby Mode, HDMI Passthrough, and Auto Standby

I'm Grant.

thats handy then..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    If you are on Spotify premium and have made sure its on high quality setting it won't be Spotify. If you haven't done this then you are not hearing Spotify anywhere near its best.

If you haven't tried Tidal yet look for an extended trial period and make sure you go with the hifi setting just to compare the two for quality. Tidal sounds better to me and is worth the £20 p/m it works out to be after the trial but Spotify wins with usability and available content.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    I just had a look in settings, and it was on 'normal', the other settings were 'high' and 'very high'! Didn't really make sense why it gave those 2 options, does that mean it won't play songs which aren't very high quality? As I did notice a difference in sq between different LPs, and it was the same on iTunes, Dusty in springfield sounded good, whereas her first LP didn't, in both spoify and iTunes.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Just struggling to understand the various streaming options hardware wise, and why people choose them. So I know I need a DAC, and something like a Chromecast as I want wireless, but then what else should I get? What are the Raspberry pi things?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

Initially if all you want to successfully is stream spotty through main system is a cca as your dlna/upnp unit. Your phone can stream to that wirelessly once set up. Needs to be set to highest in Google settings.

Spotty premium on phone, or pc and set to highest in its settings. Cca will appear in spotty, s connect system and can be connected that way.

The cca can be used with its own dac via a 3.5mm to two rca cable to your amp, or you can buy a dac that has an optical connection, to go between and use a mini toslink to toslink cable. This is the base way to stream a service with acceptable sound.

A rpi is just a different type of cca as far as your usage is concerned at moment. Also a bit more complex. It requires a program written to it as an operating system. Basically it's a mini pc to which hats can be attached to do various tasks like a spidif board or a dac board.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Initially if all you want to successfully is stream spotty through main system is a cca as your dlna/upnp unit. Your phone can stream to that wirelessly once set up. Needs to be set to highest in Google settings.

Spotty premium on phone, or pc and set to highest in its settings. Cca will appear in spotty, s connect system and can be connected that way.

The cca can be used with its own dac via a 3.5mm to two rca cable to your amp, or you can buy a dac that has an optical connection, to go between and use a mini toslink to toslink cable. This is the base way to stream a service with acceptable sound.

A rpi is just a different type of cca as far as your usage is concerned at moment. Also a bit more complex. It requires a program written to it as an operating system. Basically it's a mini pc to which hats can be attached to do various tasks like a spidif board or a dac board.
    Thanks Grant that's cleared it up for me. I'm guessing the Topping Dac would have a better sq than the dac used in the Pioneer, that's my thinking anyway based on reccommendations. It also has the flexibility of standing in for dac duties for cd playback. I suppose I'll get a CCA for starters and see where I go from there. The Pioneer one box solution attracted me until I realised no streamer is ever a one box solution as you always need a pc/phone (I use a laptop)!

I'm Grant.

With right software.. Aurirvana for instance on a 64bit pc you can stream tidal hifi to a dac via a long cable.
    As you see there are a myriad of ways to skin the cat. All have different complexities, cost and results.
    The one your after is fairly simple, cheap and works well. Sounds good enough too, if not top of range. Spotty is fun and has a great catalogue. There is an external equaliser you can get that works right In the pc program. I've got it although not using spotty at monent. It added a bit of flexabilty to sound.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

I will try Tidal as well, don't mind paying £30 a month for both, bargain really when you consider what we all used to spend on records!

I'm Paul.

Just had a quick look on tinterweb and the 6 month free trial Tidal were offering at the arse end of last year is now no more unfortunately.

Worth doing the 30 day trial though just to compare with Spotify but do put it in hifi quality to get the most from it.

CCA: Full dynamic range
    Spotify: Highest
    TIDAL: HiFi

Enjoy.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Just had a quick look on tinterweb and the 6 month free trial Tidal were offering at the arse end of last year is now no more unfortunately.

Worth doing the 30 day trial though just to compare with Spotify but do put it in hifi quality to get the most from it.

CCA: Full dynamic range
    Spotify: Highest
    TIDAL: HiFi

Enjoy.

Thanks, I'll give Tidal a go, once I sort out a cca, just noticed your signature, did BTE fit the Khozmo attenuator for you or is it a separate box?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast