+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to streaming - again.

I'm Mike.

Default New to streaming - again.

I want to live stream from Spotify, so I recently bought a Pioneer n30 streamer, the SQ seems to me pretty bad. So what I now want is still to listen to Spotify, that is all I want from a set up, no downloading, file saving, etc, just live wireless streaming. What do I need for a wireless set up? I cannot be bothered with wires trailing 12ft from my sofa to my amp. Obviously I am looking for a step up in SQ. I have no dac, just a laptop. I am utterly confused as to what else I need, as there seems to be array of options. I understand all I need is my laptop, but as stated I am looking for decent sq as well. I heard the topping dac at only £100 is terrific value, so that would be a good choice I think, what else do I need apart from a dac? The reason I bought the Pioneer was to give me the wireless option, but I understand there are other ways to gain wireless. I only want to spend a few hundred, but am after the best sq I can get for that price, the Pioneer seems to me really bad. The old Pionner I had - the N-50 was better, but that doesn't support Spotify !!! I know I should have listened to your advice! (it does support iTunes, but that is bloody rubbish!!). I will also be buying a new passive pre amp for my Quad 306 soon, as I am sick of changing cables with my one input 'Little bear'!!! It that has any bearing on things. A pre with a decent dac may'be? But I doubt that will be cheap, or as good value as I've heard other dacs like the Topping can be.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Paul.

Mike there's a few ways you could do it.

Probably the simplest would be to buy the topping dac you mentioned then a chromecast audio. Link the two with an audio to spdif optical cable and Spotify will pick up up the CCA from within the app. For me that was the easiest and cheapest way to get Spotify through my system and it sounded good too.

Another way would be to buy a raspberry pi with a dac hat (hardware attached top) and have an all in one solution without the need for an external dac. Something from the likes of Allo give superb results for the money but there are others out there you could try.

There are numerous other ways but they are two I would go for.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Tony.

I’ve just bought a Yamaha RN 830D stereo receiver to basically get rid of multiple boxes and it has everything you need for streaming and you can connect a TT too and stream the TT music round the house to wireless speakers or another system

There’s another receiver with even more options, an Onkyo equivalent a bit cheaper but I’m sure that has CCA built in too and it has HDMI ins and out.

Both amps have built in Dacs and can be had new from about £500 each or a bit less for the Onkyo if you look around

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I’ve just bought a Yamaha RN 830D stereo receiver to basically get rid of multiple boxes and it has everything you need for streaming and you can connect a TT too and stream the TT music round the house to wireless speakers or another system

There’s another receiver with even more options, an Onkyo equivalent a bit cheaper but I’m sure that has CCA built in too and it has HDMI ins and out.

Both amps have built in Dacs and can be had new from about £500 each or a bit less for the Onkyo if you look around
    I'm very impressed with my Quad 306 so am going to base a system around that a decent passive. Vinyl and CD are my primary listening sources for now.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post

Probably the simplest would be to buy the topping dac you mentioned then a chromecast audio. Link the two with an audio to spdif optical cable and Spotify will pick up up the CCA from within the app. For me that was the easiest and cheapest way to get Spotify through my system and it sounded good too.

Another way would be to buy a raspberry pi with a dac hat (hardware attached top) and have an all in one solution without the need for an external dac. Something from the likes of Allo give superb results for the money but there are others out there you could try.

Thanks Paul, this was what I was thinking. I don't know why I bought this Pioneer! The quality seems pretty bad, but I wonder is that the hardware or Spotify, I am new to this and its a lot more complicated than playing a record or cd! I also want only wireless streaming, but I do want the best quality I can get with those specs, and at not too much money! To be honest, the Pionner is just a huge black box, and I don't even know what's inside it, just a dac and what else? I mean you only need a laptop to stream.

I'm Tony.

I used a Denon DNP 720AE steamer for about four years it cost me £199 and it was excellent sound wise so I would presumes that the pioneer would be better than the Denon so either your source is poor or the pioneer isn’t set up properly.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I used a Denon DNP 720AE steamer for about four years it cost me £199 and it was excellent sound wise so I would presumes that the pioneer would be better than the Denon so either your source is poor or the pioneer isn’t set up properly.
    By source you mean Spotify or laptop? Set up on the Pioneer was easy, just open spotify app and it finds the Pioneer.

I'm Paul.

If you are on Spotify premium and have made sure its on high quality setting it won't be Spotify. If you haven't done this then you are not hearing Spotify anywhere near its best.

If you haven't tried Tidal yet look for an extended trial period and make sure you go with the hifi setting just to compare the two for quality. Tidal sounds better to me and is worth the £20 p/m it works out to be after the trial but Spotify wins with usability and available content.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post

Chromecast Audio ( CCA) around £30 mini Toslink to Toslink optical cable to Topping D30 around £100. Analogue interconnects to preamp, and you're there.

Great sound easily optimised in Spotify and Google Home.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Grant.

need to be fairly quick to get a cca as they have stopped making the audio version.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast