+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Miyajima Takumi, half new price

I'm Tom.

Default FS: Miyajima Takumi, half new price

Still fund-raising … next on the block is my Miyajima Takumi. This is (theoretically) Miyajima’s entry level cartridge, which lists at £1691. But in reality it’s just a flavour of all of the stereo Miyajima cartridges, using the same generator as its more expensive siblings, same blackwood/ebony body (albeit slightly less dense in construction than the thicker Shilabe/Madake/) and the same cross-ring motor arrangement and suspension. Difference is elliptical stylus vs shibata, output same 0.2mV / 16 ohm so plenty of output and reasonably straightforward to match … anything between 1:10 and 1:20 on an SUT depending on preference, 100-200 ohm (100 ohm recommended but in practice most prefer a little higher) on a head amp/MC stage, and a medium-ish to low compliance suspension like the Kansui/Madake (not as low compliance as the Shilabe) so happier with medium compliance tonearms as well as heavier ones.

In theory this is a ‘lesser’ cartridge to my £4.5k Miyajima Madake but out of a big box of cartridge options I find myself listening to the Takumi just as often. Its a supremely musical, easy listening cartridge that nevertheless digs out plenty of detail and can boogie when it need to. It’s a cut above all but the highest-end, most expensive SPUs and beats all Koetsus up to the stone-bodied ones (I had a Koetsu Rosewood Signature in the stable for a bit up against it) . A bargain indeed even at the new price.

Why am I selling? Well I have just too many cartridges and when a restored vintage SPU comes back from restoration shortly there’s literally no room left in the box amid Miyajimas, SPUs and Ikedas. I have five Miyajimas at the moment (two stereo, three mono) and sadly the Takumi has been selected for sacrifice. Bought brand new from Ammonite Audio (official Miyajima dealer) last June and still under warranty, so a pretty risk-free purchase. Not heavily used at all estimate is 150-200 hours.

Looking for £875 including RMSD in the UK for this gem, a whisker over half new price. If you've wondered what Miyajima cartridges were all about, now's your chance to do it at sensible money.

http://www.miyajima-lab.com/e-stereo.html

Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST50 supertweeters; Amp - Silvercore 833C monoblocks; preamp TBA watch this space; Vinyl: Schopper'd Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, vintage Ortofon SPU GE; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Miyajima/Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage Allnic H7000V used with Miyajima ETR-Mono and ETR-Stereo SUTs; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily enhanced AN DAC based on kit but aspiring to DAC5 spec.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Marantz PM-4; Digital: CDP Sony CDP-X3000ES & Arcam rBlink; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT 1503 MkI broadcast arm, Ortofon SPU Classic GM, Ortofon 2-15k SUT and Puresound Tenuto platter mat

I'm Tom.

Quite a bit of interest but still available, as it happens I also have the perfect SUT for it ....
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST50 supertweeters; Amp - Silvercore 833C monoblocks; preamp TBA watch this space; Vinyl: Schopper'd Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, vintage Ortofon SPU GE; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Miyajima/Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage Allnic H7000V used with Miyajima ETR-Mono and ETR-Stereo SUTs; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily enhanced AN DAC based on kit but aspiring to DAC5 spec.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Marantz PM-4; Digital: CDP Sony CDP-X3000ES & Arcam rBlink; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT 1503 MkI broadcast arm, Ortofon SPU Classic GM, Ortofon 2-15k SUT and Puresound Tenuto platter mat

I'm Bernard.

Nice cartridge Tom.
    How does it compare to the vintage SPUs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Garrard 401 modded by Classic-HiFi in Hammertone. Heavy oak plinth by Russ Collinson; Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: McIntosh MC225; Speakers: Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Berni217 View Post
    Nice cartridge Tom.
    How does it compare to the vintage SPUs?

Similar in may ways, I would say more detailed or perhaps also described as more expressive, and also more neutral. What it shares in common is a sense of body to the music that makes the music feel solid and substantial and embodied in voices and instruments, rather than the more hifi picture painted by a lot of modern type cartridges that to my ears often have an exaggerated treble region.

The other thing all Miyajimas have in common that's hard to describe if you haven't heard one is a sense of rightness that I think comes from the phase-correct characteristics of the cross-ring arrangement.

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Similar in may ways, I would say more detailed or perhaps also described as more expressive, and also more neutral. What it shares in common is a sense of body to the music that makes the music feel solid and substantial and embodied in voices and instruments, rather than the more hifi picture painted by a lot of modern type cartridges that to my ears often have an exaggerated treble region.

The other thing all Miyajimas have in common that's hard to describe if you haven't heard one is a sense of rightness that I think comes from the phase-correct characteristics of the cross-ring arrangement.
    Thanks Tom. Tempted but I already have many cartridges + waiting for my new deck from Angus.

Turntable: Garrard 401 modded by Classic-HiFi in Hammertone. Heavy oak plinth by Russ Collinson; Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: McIntosh MC225; Speakers: Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm Tom.

Withdrawn .... listening tonight it's too good to get rid of just to raise a few quid. Hanging onto it for now.

I'm Grant.

Don't blame you Tom. Quality cart
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Oliver.

Yes, I agree. They don't pop up "used" very often. There must be a reason for that!
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

+ Reply to Thread