+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Miyajima Takumi, half new price

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Miyajima Takumi, half new price

Still fund-raising … next on the block is my Miyajima Takumi. This is (theoretically) Miyajima’s entry level cartridge, which lists at £1691. But in reality it’s just a flavour of all of the stereo Miyajima cartridges, using the same generator as its more expensive siblings, same blackwood/ebony body (albeit slightly less dense in construction than the thicker Shilabe/Madake/) and the same cross-ring motor arrangement and suspension. Difference is elliptical stylus vs shibata, output same 0.2mV / 16 ohm so plenty of output and reasonably straightforward to match … anything between 1:10 and 1:20 on an SUT depending on preference, 100-200 ohm (100 ohm recommended but in practice most prefer a little higher) on a head amp/MC stage, and a medium-ish to low compliance suspension like the Kansui/Madake (not as low compliance as the Shilabe) so happier with medium compliance tonearms as well as heavier ones.

In theory this is a ‘lesser’ cartridge to my £4.5k Miyajima Madake but out of a big box of cartridge options I find myself listening to the Takumi just as often. Its a supremely musical, easy listening cartridge that nevertheless digs out plenty of detail and can boogie when it need to. It’s a cut above all but the highest-end, most expensive SPUs and beats all Koetsus up to the stone-bodied ones (I had a Koetsu Rosewood Signature in the stable for a bit up against it) . A bargain indeed even at the new price.

Why am I selling? Well I have just too many cartridges and when a restored vintage SPU comes back from restoration shortly there’s literally no room left in the box amid Miyajimas, SPUs and Ikedas. I have five Miyajimas at the moment (two stereo, three mono) and sadly the Takumi has been selected for sacrifice. Bought brand new from Ammonite Audio (official Miyajima dealer) last June and still under warranty, so a pretty risk-free purchase. Not heavily used at all estimate is 150-200 hours.

Looking for £875 including RMSD in the UK for this gem, a whisker over half new price. If you've wondered what Miyajima cartridges were all about, now's your chance to do it at sensible money.

http://www.miyajima-lab.com/e-stereo.html

montesquieu Guest

Quite a bit of interest but still available, as it happens I also have the perfect SUT for it ....

I'm Bernard.

Nice cartridge Tom.
    How does it compare to the vintage SPUs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Berni217 View Post
    Nice cartridge Tom.
    How does it compare to the vintage SPUs?

Similar in may ways, I would say more detailed or perhaps also described as more expressive, and also more neutral. What it shares in common is a sense of body to the music that makes the music feel solid and substantial and embodied in voices and instruments, rather than the more hifi picture painted by a lot of modern type cartridges that to my ears often have an exaggerated treble region.

The other thing all Miyajimas have in common that's hard to describe if you haven't heard one is a sense of rightness that I think comes from the phase-correct characteristics of the cross-ring arrangement.

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Similar in may ways, I would say more detailed or perhaps also described as more expressive, and also more neutral. What it shares in common is a sense of body to the music that makes the music feel solid and substantial and embodied in voices and instruments, rather than the more hifi picture painted by a lot of modern type cartridges that to my ears often have an exaggerated treble region.

The other thing all Miyajimas have in common that's hard to describe if you haven't heard one is a sense of rightness that I think comes from the phase-correct characteristics of the cross-ring arrangement.
    Thanks Tom. Tempted but I already have many cartridges + waiting for my new deck from Angus.

Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

montesquieu Guest

Withdrawn .... listening tonight it's too good to get rid of just to raise a few quid. Hanging onto it for now.

I'm Grant.

Don't blame you Tom. Quality cart
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Yes, I agree. They don't pop up "used" very often. There must be a reason for that!

+ Reply to Thread