Still fund-raising … next on the block is my Miyajima Takumi. This is (theoretically) Miyajima’s entry level cartridge, which lists at £1691. But in reality it’s just a flavour of all of the stereo Miyajima cartridges, using the same generator as its more expensive siblings, same blackwood/ebony body (albeit slightly less dense in construction than the thicker Shilabe/Madake/) and the same cross-ring motor arrangement and suspension. Difference is elliptical stylus vs shibata, output same 0.2mV / 16 ohm so plenty of output and reasonably straightforward to match … anything between 1:10 and 1:20 on an SUT depending on preference, 100-200 ohm (100 ohm recommended but in practice most prefer a little higher) on a head amp/MC stage, and a medium-ish to low compliance suspension like the Kansui/Madake (not as low compliance as the Shilabe) so happier with medium compliance tonearms as well as heavier ones.

In theory this is a ‘lesser’ cartridge to my £4.5k Miyajima Madake but out of a big box of cartridge options I find myself listening to the Takumi just as often. Its a supremely musical, easy listening cartridge that nevertheless digs out plenty of detail and can boogie when it need to. It’s a cut above all but the highest-end, most expensive SPUs and beats all Koetsus up to the stone-bodied ones (I had a Koetsu Rosewood Signature in the stable for a bit up against it) . A bargain indeed even at the new price.

Why am I selling? Well I have just too many cartridges and when a restored vintage SPU comes back from restoration shortly there’s literally no room left in the box amid Miyajimas, SPUs and Ikedas. I have five Miyajimas at the moment (two stereo, three mono) and sadly the Takumi has been selected for sacrifice. Bought brand new from Ammonite Audio (official Miyajima dealer) last June and still under warranty, so a pretty risk-free purchase. Not heavily used at all estimate is 150-200 hours.

Looking for £875 including RMSD in the UK for this gem, a whisker over half new price. If you've wondered what Miyajima cartridges were all about, now's your chance to do it at sensible money.

http://www.miyajima-lab.com/e-stereo.html