+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: This guide is to help you build the DOUK KSL-M77 Preamp clone kit.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Never seen anything Kondo , let alone listened to it, apart from the myth stuff around it , it sounds intriguing.

Starting to sound like marmite kit now though lol

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well in the Abbatoir thread there was a link to a pretty nice looking fully made copy in a decent case.

Shame it's no longer I would have bought it.
    My point Justin, it may not be exactly 100% however it will be able to make very close for a fraction of the outlay as will many other high end brands.

Good on the OP for making the effort
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Tom

Very rarely do I say these things but just stop being twat for once, reverse snobbery? Now you really are clutching at straws my dear boy

Due to circumstances over the years we ownboth the M7 and M77 both of these pieces )as mentioned in previous post) which I know very well and sheen/polish is very apt, I feel your depiction of natural fluid music maybe somewhat different from others here. You would also need to take into account those models made before Kondo-san death as well, which imho are superior.

Certainly do not have agenda with Kondo, what I do have issue with is way that snobby up their own ass so called music lovers fawn over them to the point of almost being indoctrinated into the cult of naim Similar to way that Linn 'tune dem' their potential customers.

Kondo deserves it rightful place in the high jewellery section of audio no quibble, one of the best at what it does, but with all forms of music their lies a different tale.

No I was not going to suggest an alternative or even mention any possible counter point, thus your insecurity shows once again.

Perhaps a trip to listen to other forum members systems may somewhat focus your mind from your kink with Kondo.
    Twat? Explain please. I was merely pointing out your opinions come with a big dollop of agenda. Which they most certainly do. (And as you have just confirmed).

Insecurity? Explain please? In what way is it insecure to point out you are merely repeating oft-posted nonsense? Kink with Kondo? I don't own any (though I have in the past and if I wanted some more, I'd buy some). Are you mixing me up with someone else?

Visits to forum members? I do that often though generally based on common musical interest. I seldom go to bakeoffs, mainly because the music that tends to be played is seldom my cup of tea and tells me little I want to know about a system's performance (also fed up with putting on a Bach cantata or Schubert Lieder recording only to clear the room).

I'm somewhat bemused at being offered lectures on musicality from a hifi salesman. How many times have you stood in front of a choir and directed it before an audience, or played the organ on a concert relayed on the BBC, or orchestrated music and then conducted it before a full band? I think I can guess the answer to these.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    My point Justin, it may not be exactly 100% however it will be able to make very close for a fraction of the outlay as will many other high end brands.

Good on the OP for making the effort
    Yeah good on the OP.

But is it even a major bummer for Kondo? I suspect not. It may be a plus.

Everyone knows an M77 is top notch in one way, shape or form. Those that can afford them won't want the cheapie anyway. Multiple copies simply assert it's a desirable item.

And yes I spent a good few hours with an M77 and Kondo Neiro years ago. I got an idea of what it could do, but it needed better speakers than the owner had at the time to really show itself off.

I have also heard Kondo on Olympians at Munich a few times. Those speakers are good enough. But they are the domain of classical music fans. Not really my bag.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Guys, I won't pretend to have read the whole of this thread, and therefore until I have [which is unlikely, as I have a life], I can't form an informed opinion on who's more 'in the right', or to blame (Tom or Tony), in terms of the dispute that's taken place about Kondo, simply because it's Easter Sunday and I've just finished a long family lunch/do, and have consumed copious quantities of alcohol...

However, what I will say is that when you make things personal and refer to what someone's written as "bollocks", and then that person responds by referring to you as a "twat". it's no wonder that the discussion has degenerated into name-calling, and long since lost any constructive perspective!

Therefore, in future, play the ball, not the man, stop being so provocative, and debate the SUBJECT, without turning things personal - and that applies to both of you. Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Twat? Explain please. I was merely pointing out your opinions come with a big dollop of agenda. Which they most certainly do. (And as you have just confirmed).
    Tom

I really must apologies for my late response to your assumptions which you have had the thoughtfulness to post yesterday. You are to be applauded on your outstanding rapier whit coupled with a towering intellect of monumental proportions delivering a crushing response of epic proportions, I doff my hat sir

To quote your good shelf 'big dollop of agenda' if your thoughts are in the region of; "Arh he dislikes Kondo with a passion" then you are absolutely and unequivocally 100% incorrect, I do admire its sonic capabilities and the original (Pre Kondo-san death) models build quality was superb without question. Would I wish to actually retail these units, no thank you. However as Justin made the observation and to one I whole heartily agree it is a two trick pony, albeit an exceptional two trick pony! For this sort of outlay one would expect more all round capability with all forms of music.

My ethos is very simple you have to totally understand and believe in the products that you are offer for purchase as well as the fundamentals of room/system interactions of said equipment Simply having them available on the shelf for prospective purchases doesn't fit in well with the purchasers of this style/type of equipment, they need a completely different approach.

Where I do have a 'kink' if you like, is the mythical almost religious status granted to certain brands, not for their performance but for the decades of serial bullshit, zealotry indoctrination that has been subversively and subliminally into the audio buying public, that's my kink if you like Tom

Insecurity? Explain please? In what way is it insecure to point out you are merely repeating oft-posted nonsense? Kink with Kondo? I don't own any (though I have in the past and if I wanted some more, I'd buy some). Are you mixing me up with someone else?
    Let us start with the 'oft-posted nonsense?' are you referring to my observations that I feel the M77 is not exalted enough to install one in my own system? or possibly I do not share your passion for said piece of hardware, music reproduction is different for many people and certain sonic traits that will appeal to one or two folks will turn one or two others off completely. That is personal choice and will always be so. I am pretty convinced my personal system would would be a total revulsion to you as it produces music a natural, fluid manner according to the composer/artist or band's recording space.

Would I get upset or flustered? no, as everyone is different and we all have a way we like our music to be produced, no kink there just personal choice. Certainly not mixing you up with any one Tom please be sure of that . Maybe investing in some Kondo may bring you some solace and peace in the knowledge that you have reached your personal pinnacle of audio reproduction thus elevating your insecurity issues of challenging anyone who speaks out against the temple of Kondo. I could be wrong that is also a possible equation to explore

Visits to forum members? I do that often though generally based on common musical interest. I seldom go to bakeoffs, mainly because the music that tends to be played is seldom my cup of tea and tells me little I want to know about a system's performance (also fed up with putting on a Bach cantata or Schubert Lieder recording only to clear the room).
    You did start off so well, then it curtailed downhill after the first four words?, back to Classical music again. So you make a concerted effort to visit those members who have a very similar music preference to your own. I can understand that to a point shared interests, common goals indeed can help. However even visiting members who musical first preference is not classical, a lot can be gained by listening to how other systems cope with big crescendo's (a culminating rock opus approaching its finale can also deliver really good indications on how a system can cope with Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, Shostakovitch, Wagner, Hayden, Schubert , Liszt, Mendelssohn etc full piece compositions. Similarly a good jazz quartet can deliver intricate, timing cue's and spatial awareness, tonal layering which again can help give greater insight with Classical music, granted it may not float you boat Tom, however music helps the soul and delivers better understanding of how other musical genre's can be improved in the playback quality. Most of the clients I have which they would themselves would describe as classical heads, (some 10000 plus recordings) also listen to other form's of music, maybe for only 10% of the time but they make it their business to understand all forms of music and gain a greater knowledge to help enjoy their main chosen form of music better. There are some rather good systems out there in forum land, do not cut your nose to spite your face, you maybe missing quite a few musical systems.

I'm somewhat bemused at being offered lectures on musicality from a hifi salesman. How many times have you stood in front of a choir and directed it before an audience, or played the organ on a concert relayed on the BBC, or orchestrated music and then conducted it before a full band? I think I can guess the answer to these.
    Tom I guess this is what they call the will waving section of the post (insecurity again?)

Nowhere have I personally given any lecture to you on the musicality of anything, what I have done is made observations based on PERSONAL experience of said products both in various systems (including all Kondo with speakers that could do it justice) and actually owning said piece.

This lowly "Hifi salesman" has never conducted an orchestra, stood in front of a choir and directed them or played the organ for BBC to broadcast the recording in some form or another. You got me fair and square Tom

However this owner of two recording studios has recorded over two hundred artists (all forms of music) from intimate club style surroundings, recording studio's, small churches and a medium 2000+ seater venue so I do understand, pretty much most issues from tonal quality, acoustical space, dynamic headroom, compression, latency, recording techniques, the bending of vu meters etc.

Also having played to just over 4000 people at a few public concerts (in a band) over the years although we were playing not what you consider to be be 'proper music' on the bonus side the crowd did not throw bottles at us

One of the more enjoyable professions is designing digital electronics both for the audio and pro-audio world, so I do understand the a lot of the playback chain pro's and con's and have a decent inside knowledge of how to extract and deliver a particular sound.

Dealing with the subject of classical musicians, I can cite an example of a well know classical string player who's benchmark is to compare everything against his perspective as a player in that if the immediacy is not up to how he plays his instrument then it is wrong, possible a very skewed view of music reproduction. Still a great player though even if his reproduction style is very naim orientated!

On this occasion we are not going to see eye to eye Tom, so let us agree to disagree
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Andrew.

Is it me or are the replies here just getting longer, convoluted, and BORING!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Karl.

Default Finish M77 Clone..

So Just for update info.. the Correct size case for the clone amp is very good.. things fit better, not cheap but does look the part.

This is a great build and sounds very good indeed.. of course it does depend on whats with it but I have no complaints what so ever for the money and the enjoyment of building it. Highly recommended. it can be modified and tweaked for all those that like to fiddle too

If anyone needs help or any questions just ask..

Cheers
    Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Ned.

Thumbs up Building KSL-M 77

Great work Karl !

I am just finishing my build as well and took your advice about using a separate clean 12V power supply as original one makes terrible hum. Guess what ? It's absolutely amazing...! Thanks for sharing your detailed experience. Although I went the whole way from assembling the board myself to building a custom case. I used Mundorf capacitors (the best ones I could afford) and Electro-Harmonix tubes. In my opinion preamp sounds very transparent compared to any other system I've had. I bought a faulty Denon home cinema preamp to use as a case for the preamp in order to 'match' my power amp, which is also modified Denon POA-2200. It makes a wonderful combo.

This post was really about building decent preamp, not arguing about what is Kondo is or who has a more expensive system.

Ned
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ned; 23-11-2019 at 09:09. Reason: Adding pictures

I'm Karl.

Default New build by Ned 👍

Hi Ned,
    Thanks for the post..👍 I’d stopped looking as I was getting fed up with the off track posts.
    Your build look bloody marvellous 👍👍👍😊
    I’ve tweaked a few more bits to mine since the original build. Main thing I’ve done is gone to 12ax7’s and I’ve just started to add a switchable RIAA filter. As the amp only uses a 47k resistor.. which works well but I’ve got some Jico stylus for my Shure V15VxMR and they just don’t sound as good as the original MR stylus. I have a new one on there and the sound is absolutely amazing but I know it’s not going to last for ever so experimental measures are in order to prepare..
    I also just finished a speaker build, using Tannoy 315HD’s.. based on a design by Paul Coupe.. They were a mammoth build but I think that combined with this pre amp takes a lot of beating for the money...!
    Well done Ned. 🍻
    Cheers Karl

59684AA2-B9C0-4035-9875-F0A8B9AF9556.jpgCE487B6E-DD72-49B6-8346-2B6F78A4AC87.jpg47082C47-8459-44AB-98C5-385FEEE09D48.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast