+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This guide is to help you build the DOUK KSL-M77 Preamp clone kit.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It's still a Toyota with Ferrari badges on.
    As long as it's "sold" like that, will utter transparency, there's no drama IMO.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    As long as it's "sold" like that, will utter transparency, there's no drama IMO.
    Is that really what you think when you see one in the street?

Bigman80 Guest

Is that really what you think when you see one in the street?
    Yes, there's a local guy who managed to convert an old Mazda (I think) into a Ferrari lookalike. Its convincing from a distance but as you get up close, it's obvious a lookalike and when you ask him he absolutely acknowledges that it's a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously.

I think you have to look at this M77 in the same vein. Its a homage to the original, an original so expensive that the only way to even get close to one is to replicate it. Hell, every bloody valve amp out there has topology and a circuit diagram that's been done before. There's nothing new, it's all a recycle and a few tweaks of old technology .

The M77 is an interesting kit and having the matching chassis is a bonus. Why not have some fun and knock up a knock-off!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

I think you have to look at this M77 in the same vein. Its a homage to the original, an original so expensive that the only way to even get close to one is to replicate it. Hell, every bloody valve amp out there has topology and a circuit diagram that's been done before. There's nothing new, it's all a recycle and a few tweaks of old technology .
    That's actually not true in the least there's quite a lot of genuine innovation if you look for it.

Bigman80 Guest

That's actually not true in the least there's quite a lot of genuine innovation if you look for it.
    Well, we disagree, not for the first time!

My point is, us mere mortals with low budgets for hifi can't afford "genuine innovation" so what we end up with is recycled, revamped circuits in new chassis with shiny new badges.

You may not agree but take a browse across anything from China with a valve in and I am confident it will be taken from some circuit developed in the 60s. Valab did it with their Valve phonostage, it was a copy of the old Marantz phonostage.

Its very common, Tom but less so in the pool of good you play with.

I'm Andrew.

Guys, have a look at some of the threads about this subject. Some posters have gone to great depths detailing the differences between the original designs and the chi-fi clones. As I stated some clones appear better than others with respects to how faithful they've been in copying the original design.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Guys, have a look at some of the threads about this subject. Some posters have gone to great depths detailing the differences between the original designs and the chi-fi clones. As I stated some clones appear better than others with respects to how faithful they've been in copying the original design.
    Will do, I'm now rather interested in building one

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Well I own a fairly well sorted EAR 834 clone..... but I've no doubt that an original EAR 834 probably sounds miles better.
    The clone you have with the FB modifications is far better than the original EAR 834. I have applied similar modifications to a real 834 and improved it a fair bit.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The clone you have with the FB modifications is far better than the original EAR 834. I have applied similar modifications to a real 834 and improved it a fair bit.
    I have heard both variations of that phonostage, the original and the modded. The modded is far better IMO.

I'm Paul.

For me the issue is people earning money from someone else’s work and IP. Copying something is fine, even copying something for a friend who compensates you for your time. It’s when someone makes a business of it without the original designer’s permission.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast