+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This guide is to help you build the DOUK KSL-M77 Preamp clone kit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    As long as it's "sold" like that, will utter transparency, there's no drama IMO.
    Is that really what you think when you see one in the street?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Is that really what you think when you see one in the street?
    Yes, there's a local guy who managed to convert an old Mazda (I think) into a Ferrari lookalike. Its convincing from a distance but as you get up close, it's obvious a lookalike and when you ask him he absolutely acknowledges that it's a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously.

I think you have to look at this M77 in the same vein. Its a homage to the original, an original so expensive that the only way to even get close to one is to replicate it. Hell, every bloody valve amp out there has topology and a circuit diagram that's been done before. There's nothing new, it's all a recycle and a few tweaks of old technology .

The M77 is an interesting kit and having the matching chassis is a bonus. Why not have some fun and knock up a knock-off!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

I think you have to look at this M77 in the same vein. Its a homage to the original, an original so expensive that the only way to even get close to one is to replicate it. Hell, every bloody valve amp out there has topology and a circuit diagram that's been done before. There's nothing new, it's all a recycle and a few tweaks of old technology .
    That's actually not true in the least there's quite a lot of genuine innovation if you look for it.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    That's actually not true in the least there's quite a lot of genuine innovation if you look for it.
    Well, we disagree, not for the first time!

My point is, us mere mortals with low budgets for hifi can't afford "genuine innovation" so what we end up with is recycled, revamped circuits in new chassis with shiny new badges.

You may not agree but take a browse across anything from China with a valve in and I am confident it will be taken from some circuit developed in the 60s. Valab did it with their Valve phonostage, it was a copy of the old Marantz phonostage.

Its very common, Tom but less so in the pool of good you play with.

+ Reply to Thread