+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft vs Upgraditis [emoji1677][emoji43]

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Like everyone else, just have to say what a beautiful looking system and room. I'm no longer a fan of the LP12 but yours looks sublime with the Santos plinth.
    Thats very kind thankyou. It certainly has lovely character in the grain doesnt it. This is no standard fruitbox , its sounds stunning, its fully souped up apart from a DC motor and possibly a better arm somehwere down the line. The problem with linn is not only the price of its products but the constant need to upgrade it to get it to the standard of some TTs half the price.
    Thankfully there are good manufacturers like tiger paw and edmund chan who make parts that are just as good if not better than linns, but a hell of a lot cheaper which makes them accessible to people like myself who arent loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    That is a lovely system you have there, Karl.

I’ve always been intrigued by Croft equipment but I have nether heard any. What music do you listen to?
    Cheers dude, its absolutely superb sounding stuff so give it a try if you go for a change in the future .
    I listen to all sorts, mad on the mod scene growing up so lots of 60s and 70s pop ,r&b and soul, funk, blues , psych, jazz, rock etc . I just appreciate all music now. If its good its good no matter what genre.

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Anthony.

Karl,

All looks very nice indeed with the Croft core similar to my own. I am not surprised that it sound sublime. Mine;

WTA GT/Dynavector DVXX2 Mk2
    Rothwell Headspace
    Croft RIAA-R
    Croft phono 25R - Electro Harmonix 12AX7; JJ ECC83S; Mullard 85A2
    Croft 7R monoblocks - RCA 12BH7A; Mullard 85A2: NOS Mullard ECC83
    Tannoy Turnberry SE

You might need to substitute "tube rolling" for "upgradeitus" though.

Enjoy!

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Antinchip View Post
    Karl,

All looks very nice indeed with the Croft core similar to my own. I am not surprised that it sound sublime. Mine;

WTA GT/Dynavector DVXX2 Mk2
    Rothwell Headspace
    Croft RIAA-R
    Croft phono 25R - Electro Harmonix 12AX7; JJ ECC83S; Mullard 85A2
    Croft 7R monoblocks - RCA 12BH7A; Mullard 85A2: NOS Mullard ECC83
    Tannoy Turnberry SE

You might need to substitute "tube rolling" for "upgradeitus" though.

Enjoy!
    Haha your probably right mate but we will cunningly diguise it as ‘tube rolling’ so her indoors doesnt ask any questions about the next couple of hundred quid doing a Houdini from the bank account .

Sounds like a beautiful little rig you have yourself there .
    A local tech who services audio research and mcintosh spoke very highly of the electro harmonix tubes too. So maybe i can try one myself

I'm James.

I cannot make out if your line stage is standard Karl, i.e. ECC83? If it is I would get this upgraded to 12BH7A line stage with non inductive resistors.

In the regulation stage I would use standard JJ Tesla ECC83, they out performed my Tesla NOS Tesla in this position. If it is ECC83 line stage I would use either a NOS Tesla ECC83(my preferred choice) or NOS Telefunkens.

In the input stage of the 7R I would use the GE JAN 5751. Slightly lower output than regular ECC83 but can be driven harder with less distortion.

https://www.watfordvalves.com/produc...il.asp?id=1394
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I cannot make out if your line stage is standard Karl, i.e. ECC83? If it is I would get this upgraded to 12BH7A line stage with non inductive resistors.

In the regulation stage I would use standard JJ Tesla ECC83, they out performed my Tesla NOS Tesla in this position. If it is ECC83 line stage I would use either a NOS Tesla ECC83(my preferred choice) or NOS Telefunkens.

In the input stage of the 7R I would use the GE JAN 5751. Slightly lower output than regular ECC83 but can be driven harder with less distortion.

https://www.watfordvalves.com/produc...il.asp?id=1394
    Thanks jim i believe it has a nos sylvania 12bh7a in the linestage with two ecc83s(not sure which type, i think JJ) and a nos mullard 85a2 so must be the upgraded version?
    It has nos edichrons on the input stage of the monos currently but i had read about the 5751’s being detailed,watford valves say their cryo 5751s are the best sounding?. Ive also heard they are good in the pre linestage but would that work in the upgraded linestage, if not do you have any recommendations for pre valves? Are there any telefunkens that fit the bill? Also How much does the gain decrease i seem to get good volume around 6 oclock on the dial. 7 if i fancy it a bit louder.

I'm James.

Good you have the 12BH7A in line stage. I would maybe go for a NOS Brimar or even better NOS RCA in this position.

Yes the GE cryo 5751 valves are plenty detailed and sound great in the input stage. The gain will not decrease noticeably, in fact you will have more useful gain to play with.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Karl.

Good you have the 12BH7A in line stage. I would maybe go for a NOS Brimar or even better NOS RCA in this position.

Yes the GE cryo 5751 valves are plenty detailed and sound great in the input stage. The gain will not decrease noticeably, in fact you will have more useful gain to play with.
    Yes that makes sense , i just read that you lose about one number of gain on the dial. So if you listen at 6 it will drop to five , but as you say you can turn it up further without any issues if need be.
    I shall keep my beady eyes peeled for an RCA and GE and see how i get on. Thanks for your knowledge james. Much appreciated bud

I'm James.

Always nice to pass on knowledge and experience Karl especially regarding Croft gear. I have tried many, many valves in all positions in the Croft preamp and their have been a few surprises. Glenn uses JJ Tesla valves as standard issue due to availability and indeed they can sound OK but in the phono or line stage they can certainly be bettered which is all the fun of having a Croft - easy tube rolling.

One valve I would steer clear of is the JJ ECC99 which is a 12BH7a modern equivalent - it is terrible!

I am most impressed with your speaker stands for the SP2's , may I ask what they are Karl? Your whole system looks fabulously presented and sorted and the stands look particularly good with the speakers and the correct height.

I'm Karl.

Always nice to pass on knowledge and experience Karl especially regarding Croft gear. I have tried many, many valves in all positions in the Croft preamp and their have been a few surprises. Glenn uses JJ Tesla valves as standard issue due to availability and indeed they can sound OK but in the phono or line stage they can certainly be bettered which is all the fun of having a Croft - easy tube rolling.

One valve I would steer clear of is the JJ ECC99 which is a 12BH7a modern equivalent - it is terrible!

I am most impressed with your speaker stands for the SP2's , may I ask what they are Karl? Your whole system looks fabulously presented and sorted and the stands look particularly good with the speakers and the correct height.
    Thats great james thanks. Do you know which type of rca tube would be the best? Ie black plates, d- getter etc? 50s,60s? Or are they all pretty good from that era?

The stands are based on the ‘hifi racks fortis’ model that are designed for spendors. They sell on analogue seduction for £500 but i wasnt paying that so i bought some hard wood and made them myself in a couple of evenings. Then just added sorbothane domes for the speakers to sit on. I made them slightly taller as im 6ft3 so that the tweeters are in my ear line . All in all for wood , screws , glue , paint and domes etc it cost me 70 quid so a massive saving and i had a bit of fun making them.

They work a treat and look the business too so all in all a good result

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast