+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft vs Upgraditis [emoji1677][emoji43]

I'm Karl.

Default Croft vs Upgraditis

Now that ive managed to volley that pesky little upgrade bug in to row Z ,i thought id share a few pics of the current noise maker.

Firstly id like to send a huge thankyou to Roger (Blodger) of this parish for being a top bloke throughout the purchase of his babies.

It probably wasnt an easy decision to make to let these go, but one mans loss is another mans gain so i jumped at the chance when i saw his recent advert in the classifieds and after shuffling my gear about within 24hrs it made this dream possible.

Having been constantly searching for that magical sound for a few years now via various components manufacturers (regas,cambridge,B&W, Naim ,linn , spendor and etc etc) i can finally say that ive hit the peak and the need for MORE is well and truly gone now that the Croft combo has landed.

The 25r and 7r monos were recently upgraded by Glenn to the latest top spec and with the newest spec transformers. Theres a NOS Sylvania 12bh7 in the linestage and NOS Mullards and Edichrons elsewhere in the pre and power amps.
    Detail is probably even steven with the RSL Naim 72 pre but it has shown the Naim setup a clean pair of heels elsewhere with a more natural, open, airy ,spacious presentation and i think thats down the monos.

They are absolutely stunning and im one very happy camper indeed , there was only ever going to be one winner in this fight and the Crofts get the KO in the first round.
    Bye bye upgrade bug

Current lash up -
    Linn LP12 (too many mods to mention)
    Audio technica Art 9
    Whest 2.2
    Spendor SP2/3R2
    Croft 25r
    Croft 7r monoblocks
    Chord Cobra 3 interconnets
    QED signature revelation speaker cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm John.

Great looking set up Karl!

I'm Chris.

Hi Karl,

lovely lovely kit there.

Looks the cat's knackers with the matt black croft boxes, with the clean lines of the equipment supports and some wood thrown in.

I have/had a similar setup but on the cheapo compared to yours. Modified Croft 25 with standard 7 power amp and croft RIAA phono stage. LP12 (much less modified) with it too. Unfortunately I could never get the right speaker combo to really compliment it. It sounded good just not quite "right" if I was being picky. Never had the cash (balls) to stump up for some proper Spendor/Harbeth's but probably should have done.

God knows I've spent (wasted) enough to have bought some by now!

One day I'll assemble another Croft/LP12 system but for now I'm stuck in a love nest of Quad stuff . . . .

Love that plinth . . . a lot.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Great looking set up Karl!

Thanks buddy

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hi Karl,

lovely lovely kit there.

Looks the cat's knackers with the matt black croft boxes, with the clean lines of the equipment supports and some wood thrown in.

I have/had a similar setup but on the cheapo compared to yours. Modified Croft 25 with standard 7 power amp and croft RIAA phono stage. LP12 (much less modified) with it too. Unfortunately I could never get the right speaker combo to really compliment it. It sounded good just not quite "right" if I was being picky. Never had the cash (balls) to stump up for some proper Spendor/Harbeth's but probably should have done.

God knows I've spent (wasted) enough to have bought some by now!

One day I'll assemble another Croft/LP12 system but for now I'm stuck in a love nest of Quad stuff . . . .

Love that plinth . . . a lot.

Cheers,

Chris
    Thanks Chris, the croft gear is superb no matter what end of the ladder your at so im sure it sounded stunning mate.

I think the box monitor type speakers (harbies and spendors) are the perfect match for croft gear. Nothing added nothing taken away so that liquid fluidity can flow through.

I put together the TT myself from parts and ive been lucky with my other gear and stumbled across amazing deals ,ex dem etc, at around half or less of the retail price for everything so by time ive shuffled old components about ive always managed to get a nice upgrade for a small outlay. Lord knows you need it in this game on an average wage haha.

The plinth is santos rosewood, the character is beautiful. I chose the plank as i knew it would look amazing oiled up. Really makes the linn pop.

I dont have any experience with Quad gear myself but it very well thought of so im sure its super?

Cheers

Karl

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Absolutely fantastic looking system, Karl, and judiciously chosen set of components... Superbly set up. too! Also great to see someone embracing the importance of proper equipment supports, speaker stands and effective isolation!

Bet it all sounds fab!! I know that Croft/Spendor is a winning combo. All I'd do is move your speakers a little further apart, and certainly further forward, so that the equipment isn't sat right in between them, and toe them in slightly towards the listening position, as that will significantly improve the overall sound (especially imaging).

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Fantastic Karl, beautifully matched system and a little similar to my own. I expect yours however sounds a little better especially with those beautiful 7r monos!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Well done Karl,

You've put together a great looking (and sounding) system there, you must be very proud.

The racks look superb.

Happy listening.

I'm Robert.

Really nice looking system Karl that as already expressed, I bet sounds fab
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Absolutely fantastic looking system, Karl, and judiciously chosen set of components... Superbly set up. too! Also great to see someone embracing the importance of proper equipment supports, speaker stands and effective isolation!

Bet it all sounds fab!! I know that Croft/Spendor is a winning combo. All I'd do is move your speakers a little further apart, and certainly further forward, so that the equipment isn't sat right in between them, and toe them in slightly towards the listening position, as that will significantly improve the overall sound (especially imaging).

Marco.
    Thanks Marco, the urge to try valves has been niggling me since we last spoke , and it was a case of waiting for the right deal to pop up.
    The missus nearly had a heart attack when i told her i was taking some of the house deposit to buy “another bloody upgrade?... you said you were done last time” .
    Thankfully i sold my Naim setup within a few hours so it kept her off my back. Haha.
    I would love to bring the speakers out a bit more but theyd be in the walkway through the kitchen and the living room (joys of renting a city apartmet) but this will be sorted when we buy towards the end of the year. They are however shoed in slightly to the listening position although its hard to tell in the pics.
    Needless to say its a winning combo and im set now for a long while, maybe just a bit of fun with some valves, but dont tell her that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast