+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1980s Top 40 nostalgia....

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up 1980s Top 40 nostalgia....

Found this on YouTube and it brought back great memories, for an 80s boy, of how I used to spend the early part of Sunday evenings! Thought it might do the same for others from the same era:

Probably got a few of those tapes kicking around myself... Ah, the golden days when DJs played vinyl, and radio broadcasts sounded great!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Neil.

I recall Tommy more for his various rock shows, in particular the Friday Rock show. It was via that show in the early 80s that I gained much knowledge about that genre.

RIP Tommy your legacy lives on.
    Regards Neil

Yeah defo, on both counts, although in those days I wasn't that into rock music, more new wave/electronic stuff. Still loved taping the chart show though and playing it on my Walkman at school the following day! Happy days

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

ghastly era
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol... You were too old then to get it!

I loved it. Very happy times for me

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Dan.

Fantastic

My dad still has a large collection of Radio Shows on Tape's
    Tisbury Passive Pre / Quad 405
    Cambridge Reference / QED Jumpers / Linn Interconnects / Cable Talk 3.1 speaker cable / QED Balanced IC's.
    Ruark Talisman 1 Speakers

Vinyl
    Rega Planar 2 / RB250 / Ortofon OM Super 10 / Van Den Hul Bearing Upgrade

Other Kit
    Quad 33 303 / Pioneer Precision amp and CD / various others Yamaha / Marantz / Nytech / Kef / Audio Note / Tannoy 615 / DC 1000 + more

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Fantastic

My dad still has a large collection of Radio Shows on Tape's
    I have numerous Friday Rock Shows recorded, but just the music not Tommy back then I valued the music more, over the whole thing. Having listened to some old Friday Rock Shows I now regret not recording Tommy as well.
    Regards Neil

Yeah, Tommy was cool, but no-one could hold a candle to the late (and very great) John Peel!

The amount of times I fell asleep listening to his show [in a good way] on my bedroom clock radio - introduced me to all sorts of stuff I wouldn't have considered

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

For Neil:

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

Now this is interesting, and something I've mentioned before, in terms of the broadcast sound quality of Radio 1, back in the day.

Here's a recording by the same guy. this time of a Top 40 show from 1987, when the Beeb moved from using Gates T/Ts, with Shure SC35C carts, to EMT 950s ,with EMT TSD15 carts (which were sadly short-lived until CD took over):

Can you hear the difference? I can - and it's not subtle!

Listen to that weighty opening bass line on Fine Young Cannibals, in particular (it's pure deep, 'chunky' analogue sound at its best, within of course the limitations of the source recording) , and compare that to the tinny cacophony you get now from current pop music broadcasts, using digital sound reproduction processes...

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast