+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing low end output.

I'm Rich.

Default Reducing low end output.

Hi all,

I use a pair of Impulse Lalis, which I believe are a horn loaded design.I absolutely love them, but I do find myself worrying about how much low end they kick out. Not in terms of the overall sound, but in regards to disturbing my neighbours. I live in a block with people above, below and to one side of my lounge, I find myself listening at lower and lower volumes for fear of annoying anyone. It's a concrete building but I can feel the vibrations through the floor when I listen at normal levels. I have tried to dampen it by putting foam in the ports at the bottom of the speaker but it has no affect, I don't know if I'm just not using a dense enough material or if it's just not going to help. Has anyone ever managed to tame low end in a similar speaker?

As much as it would pain me to do so, I'm considering swapping the Lalis for smaller stand mount speaker that I could enjoy at normal volume. I don't see myself living in a property where the Lalis could do their thing anytime soon. I don't listen to music particularly loud but I am finding it almost too quiet to enjoy now. No point in owning them if I can't appreciate them.

As always, any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rich.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Grant.

yup, its as well to consider those around you as long as its mutual. I made my own to achieve a lower bass output, as im not that keen on it anyway.. but even then the bass does travel even at lower vol. you have solid walls so it should be achievable. maybe some nice full rangers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

There is no quick or inexpensive way to reduce low frequency leakage to adjacent properties. Doing so requires extensive structural work and typically the creation of secondary walls or floors. A first step is to talk to your neighbours to establish the extent of the problem and the degree to which the leakage affects them. If it is a significant problem then a change of speakers is probably necessary. Ideally, you will find a speaker that sounds lively at "lowish" listening levels.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup, its as well to consider those around you as long as its mutual. I made my own to achieve a lower bass output, as im not that keen on it anyway.. but even then the bass does travel even at lower vol. you have solid walls so it should be achievable. maybe some nice full rangers
    That's my thinking too Grant, my neighbours are a polite and quiet bunch on the whole. The floors are concrete but the walls seem pretty thin. I don't hear anything disturbing from them so I'm keen to do the same.

I couldn't be happier with how my set up sounds, it's maybe just not right for where I am.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Martin.

Do you know if the neighbours have a problem with it? You can feel vibrations in the floor but that doesn't necessarily translate into the neighbours hearing the bass at a level loud enough to be annoying.

Try some vibration absorbing something under the speakers if you haven't already.

In any case they live in a block of flats, neighbour noise, including music is to be expected unless it is at unsociable hours. Legally I think that is 0800 to 2300. Personally I don't have music on before 1100 or after 2200 but I think in between is reasonable. Don't forget it's your God-given right as an Englishman to be able to listen to your music.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    There is no quick or inexpensive way to reduce low frequency leakage to adjacent properties. Doing so requires extensive structural work and typically the creation of secondary walls or floors. A first step is to talk to your neighbours to establish the extent of the problem and the degree to which the leakage affects them. If it is a significant problem then a change of speakers is probably necessary. Ideally, you will find a speaker that sounds lively at "lowish" listening levels.
    It's a rented property, so that rules structural changes out.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Do you know if the neighbours have a problem with it? You can feel vibrations in the floor but that doesn't necessarily translate into the neighbours hearing the bass at a level loud enough to be annoying.

Try some vibration absorbing something under the speakers if you haven't already.

In any case they live in a block of flats, neighbour noise, including music is to be expected unless it is at unsociable hours. Legally I think that is 0800 to 2300. Personally I don't have music on before 1100 or after 2200 but I think in between is reasonable. Don't forget it's your God-given right as an Englishman to be able to listen to your music.
    It's never late or early, usually just evenings. It is a good point to make that I should actually speak to them first. I think it's because I had an an obnoxious inconsiderate neighbour a few years ago when in was living in Bristol that keeps me from wanting to be the same without realising I'm doing it. I think what I'll do is put music on at a level I enjoy and pop down to speak to them.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Steve.

There is a chance that the reason you don't hear any noise from your neighbours is not because they are quiet, but because the walls/floors are doing a good job insulating the sound. I would agree with Geoff - first step is to have a chat with your neighbours (while playing some music at a level you are happy with), and see what they say.

I'm sure it can't be as bad as my mum's old house. When I used to visit Friday's, and Bruce's "Play Your Cards Right" came on telly, I could hear the old feller next door shouting "Higher! Higher!....You silly sod, I told you to go higher!" Now that was bad.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    There is a chance that the reason you don't hear any noise from your neighbours is not because they are quiet, but because the walls/floors are doing a good job insulating the sound. I would agree with Geoff - first step is to have a chat with your neighbours (while playing some music at a level you are happy with), and see what they say.

I'm sure it can't be as bad as my mum's old house. When I used to visit Friday's, and Bruce's "Play Your Cards Right" came on telly, I could hear the old feller next door shouting "Higher! Higher!....You silly sod, I told you to go higher!" Now that was bad.
    That's what the place in Bristol was like, I never heard a peep when a single woman lived next door, she worked in the evenings so we didn't cross at home much. Then one day I heard what sounded like a spoon hitting a bowl from next door, and I thought I must have misheard it as it was crystal clear. But when the quiet neighbour moved moved out and the obnoxious git moved in it turned out the walls were actually that useless, I could hear music, conversation and arguments (and even worse, shagging). I mentioned it politely several times, I even spoke to my landlady about it, but it turns out he was her business partners son so I was f&#ked. I moved out within weeks.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Grant.

Ive someone on one side of me. The walls are fairly poor, but he can be noisy. water pipes and charging up and down stair etc. I dont know why folk cant climb stairs quietly. its not difficult... mind you he is care in the community so its difficult do communicate
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast