+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reducing low end output.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "When the bass energy from the driver units reaches the room boundaries, then a proportion of that energy is absorbed by that surface. This is turn is transmitted outside of the room. The walls effectively become "sound panels""

That is entirely consistent with my thinking that the sound is transmitted via the substrate rather than through air to another flat.
    Sound vibrates the molecules in the wall the same as it des the molecules in the air - is my understanding anyway. So airborne and structure borne transmission are essentially the same thing.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

This is why we continue to dither about 'downsizing' from a house to a flat. We have good thick walls, and relatively quiet neighbours, and remember back when we lived in a flat. The woman above us seemed to be permanently hoovering, whilst the woman in the flat next to us played opera very loudly all day and well into the night. She was a bit crazy, and had barricaded the way to her door with bins and cardboard boxes to hinder people from complaining to her about the noise. And we lived on the ground floor. Imagine having noisy neighbours above and below you!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sound vibrates the molecules in the wall the same as it des the molecules in the air - is my understanding anyway. So airborne and structure borne transmission are essentially the same thing.
    Of course. but the difference in audio terms is that we want the acoustic energy to pass to our ears through the air, but don't really want that energy to subsequently escape from our listening room through the materials that form the room boundaries!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    This is why we continue to dither about 'downsizing' from a house to a flat. We have good thick walls, and relatively quiet neighbours, and remember back when we lived in a flat. The woman above us seemed to be permanently hoovering, whilst the woman in the flat next to us played opera very loudly all day and well into the night. She was a bit crazy, and had barricaded the way to her door with bins and cardboard boxes to hinder people from complaining to her about the noise. And we lived on the ground floor. Imagine having noisy neighbours above and below you!
    i got offered a modern flat down rd from me by the housing association as i am disabled.. I said over my cold, dead body couldnt stand having so many folk around me. Ive only one neighbour with a connection to house. am an end terrace with driveway and big garden, plus good neighbours bar the connecting one.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Well, I put a fairly bass heavy tune on and had the music at a level slightly louder than I would normally, which was high 60s dB (thank you for the tip Adrian). I popped downstairs to speak to the neighbour below me, he said he couldn't hear a thing and never has, result! I asked if he could hear the bass thump and he said not at all. He did comment on how considerate it was of me to ask, I'm glad I did as it's more enjoyable to listen to music without worry.

All's well that ends well.

Thanks to all for your input, it was much appreciated

Rich.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Martin.

Good news.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    Well, I put a fairly bass heavy tune on and had the music at a level slightly louder than I would normally, which was high 60s dB (thank you for the tip Adrian). I popped downstairs to speak to the neighbour below me, he said he couldn't hear a thing and never has, result! I asked if he could hear the bass thump and he said not at all. He did comment on how considerate it was of me to ask, I'm glad I did as it's more enjoyable to listen to music without worry.

All's well that ends well.

Thanks to all for your input, it was much appreciated

Rich.
    Great to hear , 60-70dB is normal, human speech normally peaks around 75dB, So if you set it to peak at 75dB you will be fine. Pleased to hear it has worked out.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stewart.

Yes,great result! It's good to be considerate of your neighbours.
    I have no problem with mine.They even throw bricks through my windows so they can hear it better!

I'm Graham.

I found first generation air inflated Townshend
    audio seismic sinks to be excellent at decoupling speakers from floor. I used them on wooden floors.
    When spiked to floors, the bass would rattle the floors and I could feel it in my feet. Using sinks, all the vibration was absorbed and nothing transmitted to floors. Appreciate concrete is different to timber so effect may be different.
    Graham

I'm Dennis.

"Sound vibrates the molecules in the wall the same as it des the molecules in the air - is my understanding anyway. So airborne and structure borne transmission are essentially the same thing. "

Yes Martin, but we are discussing which route the leakage may be through, and the curative treatment is appropriate to that route.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast