+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Budget MC Cartridge up to about £150

I'm Russell.

Default WTD: Budget MC Cartridge up to about £150

Just got a new (to me) Phono Stage which also accepts MC cartridges (DV P-100) so thought I’d give one a whirl on my SL1200 Mk II

Who’s got one they can recommend & wants to get rid of?

I'm John.

I have a Goldring Eroica L sat here doing nothing (no box or accessories, just stylus guard). Was my spare when I had a Hana SL, but now need a better spare cart as running a Sumiko Pearwood.
    £100 Inc P&P.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I have a Goldring Eroica L sat here doing nothing (no box or accessories, just stylus guard). Was my spare when I had a Hana SL, but now need a better spare cart as running a Sumiko Pearwood.
    £100 Inc P&P.
    Thanks for the quick reply - can you send me a couple of images?

Any idea how old & hours on stylus?

I take it the cantilever is straight & all ok?

Thanks.

I'm John.

PM me your email, and will sort pics as is a complete pain to upload photos on this site, especially via a phone but cart looks same as current Eroica LX, (and before someone suggests it, NO, I won't use crapatalk app).
    Ye cart all good cantalever straight. Am guessing hours at 300 max (never been one to track usage)

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    £100 Inc P&P.
    That will work very well in OP’s TT, and that is a fair price indeed John.
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

I'm Russell.

Now sorted thanks (John)

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    Now sorted thanks (John)
    Russell, PM me when you have fitted and had a good listen, would be interested to know what you think.

kr, Paul
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick2000 View Post
    Russell, PM me when you have fitted and had a good listen, would be interested to know what you think.

kr, Paul
    Eroica L Cartridge arrived this morning - thanks John.

Got it up & running on my SL1200 Mk II & popped on one of my favourite Vinyl LPs of all time - Random Access Memories by Daft Punk

First impressions are very positive - vocals seem very much in the forefront & all instruments seem well defined.

I’ll have a play around with different tracking weights (currently at 1.75g, slap in the middle of recommended range) & see what more I can bring out of it.

Not sure if it’s my Phono stage (DV P-100) but I do have to have the volume up considerably higher than I did when using an MM cartridge (& MM part of Phono stage of course) but not overly concerning.

montesquieu Guest

If by DV 100P you mean the Dynavector 100p it has 63db of gain and 100 ohm loading which be ok with the Eroica though perhaps slightly on the quiet side as you have found.

Reason is that the Eroica L has a significantly lower output (0.25mV) than the later LX (0.4mV). Though with 63db of gain it's still well within the area of being a reasonable match.

I'm John.

Glad your happy (sofar) with ti.
    Yes, will be the gain of your PS, as, as a general rule MC carts lose 20dB over their MM cousins, there can be further losses if the loading (Ohms) is way off of the recommended or less than 10 - 12 times the internal impedence if an open ended impedence range is given.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast