+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audirvana Upscaling

I'm James.

Default Audirvana Upscaling

I have been evaluating the Pi3+Boss 1.2 DAC with Audirvana as the server and using the many options for upscaling that are available using this software.

The Boss 1.2 DAC allows for maxed out upscaling at 32/768khz which is quite extreme and needs a fair bit of computer grunt so pushes my old MacBook Pro to the limit and occasionally falls over.

It is far happier running either 24/384khz or 192 kHz upsampling. I find the sweetspot 24 or 32/384khz. Running at this resolution the Boss DAC seems to open up even more and sound that bit more smoother and effortless which is really nice.

I have now thrown into the equation the Isolator 1.3 and although it's galvanic isolation does benefit the digital audio signals with a little bit more detail and dimensionality it does not operate at anything above 32/192khz so upsampling is limited.

My dilemma is I like the smooth openness of the larger upscaling vs the extra detail offered by the Isolator.

Anyone else experimented in this area with Audirvana upscaling. I must admit I am a big fan of this software as it has been so nice to use and runs like a dream.

Interesting fact- Chords top DACs only sound as good as they do when they have the m-scaler attached pumping 24/768khz into them so they also must have worked out the benefits of massive upscaling. I have heard this in operation and once you have experienced it you would not want to go back to using a DAC like DAVE without it!

Nice Audirvana can do it at such a moderate price!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

have u updated the volumio lately jim. mine isnt working with av or jriver now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Jim,

I just can't get Jriver to play nicely with Volumio so I have abandoned the idea for now. 12 hours of trying and no joy.

Enjoy your upsampling

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    have u updated the volumio lately jim. mine isnt working with av or jriver now
    I think it is on automatic updates Grant. Not having any problems recently.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think it is on automatic updates Grant. Not having any problems recently.
    didnt know there was an auto update... I had to select update every now and then.. did it recently and it stopped working with external sources upnp etc.
    ive gone back to the original build.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Jim,

I just can't get Jriver to play nicely with Volumio so I have abandoned the idea for now. 12 hours of trying and no joy.

Enjoy your upsampling
    Sorry no joy with Jriver Oli, you certainly put the hours in trying!�� Got your message about 24/96 being ideal although the Boss will accept 32/768khz. I found either 24/32/ 384khz very nice to listen too. On your system I am sure you would hear the benefits even better!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry no joy with Jriver Oli, you certainly put the hours in trying!�� Got your message about 24/96 being ideal although the Boss will accept 32/768khz. I found either 24/32/ 384khz very nice to listen too. On your system I am sure you would hear the benefits even better!
    Well, I've just done a factory reset to Volumio as Grant has suggested elsewhere. Let's see what happens.

I'm Grant.

hope it cures it.

also check tools, options, media network, add or configure dlna servers, and legacy upnp should be highlighted , or is in mine, with audio mode as original.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

I had my version of Volumio flashed recently so it maybe it is different, they are always tinkering with it!

Bigman80 Guest

Easier said than done Grant, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for lol

+ Reply to Thread