So, I recently got myself a Technics SL1200 MK5 and decided to fit one of my DL-103 carts. I set it up as follows:

Jelco HS25 headshell
3.5mm wooden shim
Technics Baerwald alignment (using Vinyl Engine arc protractor)
Auxiliary counterweight
Herbie's 4mm mat

Sounds pretty good, but not as full-bodied and warm as I remembered and also brighter, too. As I happen to have 2 x DL-103's (one serial number apart) I thought I'd try the other one and set this up as follows (both with VTF at 2.5g and arm level)

Technics stock headshell
6mm rubber shim (made from a new exhaust strap - quite hard rubber)
Technics overhang gauge alignment
Auxiliary counterweight
Herbie's 4mm mat

Really surprised, as sounds much nicer....well to my preference anyway. A richer, more full-bodied sound with weightier bass and the high end a little smoother, though nicely detailed at the same time.

I'm really not sure why the distinct difference in sound here and, if anything, I would have expected the results to be the reverse of what they are. I did try and calculate what 'effective' tonearm mass I ended up with but can't recall the figures I came too, though I know the Jelco setup was only about 1g heavier. I chose to leave the additional 4g headshell weight off the Technics headshell, as that would have left it exceeding the Jelco setup weight by 2 to 3g's.

So, I'm wondering why I'm getting these results...any thoughts? Thanks, David.