+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live performance v HiFi

I'm Gary.

Default Live performance v HiFi

This was inspired by various other threads about what people want from their system, something that is often mentioned is the system sounding like a live performance.

I've been thinking about this and with one exception (Brit Floyd) if my system sounded like most of the gigs I've been to I'd bin it and buy a Bose Wave thingy.

With the obvious exception of sheer volume most live gigs sound bloody awful, one that springs to mind for me was Alice Cooper at Bournmouth a few years ago, the sound was so bad that I genuinely struggled to tell what song was being performed it was simply sheer noise.

People also rhapsodise about soundstage and being able to hear where individual instruments are, again at a live gig your eyes tell you where the performers are not your ears, although there are usually two speaker arrays (plus delay towers) the audience are unlikely to get any stereo imaging depending on where they're sitting/standing.

So is the "live performance" analogy really a good one
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    This was inspired by various other threads about what people want from their system, something that is often mentioned is the system sounding like a live performance.

I've been thinking about this and with one exception (Brit Floyd) if my system sounded like most of the gigs I've been to I'd bin it and buy a Bose Wave thingy.

With the obvious exception of sheer volume most live gigs sound bloody awful, one that springs to mind for me was Alice Cooper at Bournmouth a few years ago, the sound was so bad that I genuinely struggled to tell what song was being performed it was simply sheer noise.

People also rhapsodise about soundstage and being able to hear where individual instruments are, again at a live gig your eyes tell you where the performers are not your ears, although there are usually two speaker arrays (plus delay towers) the audience are unlikely to get any stereo imaging depending on where they're sitting/standing.

So is the "live performance" analogy really a good one
    No, I personally don't think it is. If you listen critically to a live performance you would find guitars and vocals sounding like the speakers are being overdriven, and the "soundstage" could be pretty much anything, and will change every time you get a beer or go to the bog. At one gig I went to (Happy Mondays at G-Mex Manchester) our location was such that the sound bouncing off the rear wall was louder than the sound source, the result was rather weird.

The live "experience" is exciting, and can connect you with the performers, but no way would I want that in my living room (apart from a bit more bass "slam", I'd have a bit more of that).

A bit like F1 cars - very exciting to drive (I imagine) on a race track, but using an F1 car to nip to the shops in or do the school run, not for me thanks.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm gone.

Yes, very sound points.

I've only been to a few non classical gigs, including Alice Cooper at Hammersmith decades ago.
    Yes, the sound quality was rubbish tbh - it was all about the atmosphere, being there, the visual aspects and on stage 'performance' and the staging/light show.

It's different for classical and other non-amplified music - a lot of jazz, folky stuff etc - where a decent seat in a decent venue can sound fantastic and very much an experience to be sought after on a hifi system.

But even there your point about imaging has a lot of validity- it's rare to have the pinpoint location that can be heard on a hifi.

I'm Paul.

I saw a video on YT last week by PS Audio, I think it was. The chap said that stereo as a means to convey real life is very flawed. I agree with that and what I think people want when they say they want something as close to that real thing is colouration. When I listen to some coloured speakers or speakers that react with the room in a particular way they almost seem to be reconstructing the way that a live event reacts with its environment.
    ~Paul~

I'm Rich.

When I think of the term live performance I always imagined it to mean the instruments in an acoustic state wherever possible, be it a cello, drum kit or double bass. That's the sound I'd like to reproduce, not the big rig set up of a concert.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Adrian.

I think how a live performance is record and what it is will make a major impact on the resulting recording. Just taking a feed off a mixing desk and some ambient mics to get audience participation is unlikely to get a very good result, unless the recording engineer is carefully when it is all set up and present when the recordings are made. I can think of several well recorded albums like Deep Purple - Made in Japan, Hawkwind - Space Ritual, both unusual as rock music is often poorly recorded live. Another stand out album which is not necessarily live but was effectively recorded that way without an audience is The Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions, recorded in a church with one omnidirectional mic, a mic for the vocalist and the musicians all sat on the main mic in a circle, they just played the tracks live onto tape, the quality of the recording is outstanding.

With respect to classical music once again I think it is a bit of a mixed bag, I have a couple of Mozart LP's where the recording is live and the sense of the orchestra on the stage is fantastic, presumably careful attention was made to microphone positioning to get a realistic soundstage and sense of space. But I have quite a few classical LP's that to be honest sound rather flat and they are mainly recorded in studios which is the opposite of what you would expect.

I think where live recording comes into its own is Jazz. Standouts for me are the Eva Cassidy - Nightbird recordings, Hugh Masekala - Hope both exceptional recordings and superb music. there are numerous other jazz albums recorded live, IMO it suits the genre better giving it more immediacy.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Some very valid points made.

I've never been to a classical or acoustic style concert but can appreciate the points made about those
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Grant.

more for me like the person is in the room as opposed to a live performance. often to do with placement etc. although ive heard a few great live gigs, they dont sound great generally on an aural level.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

The most you can ever hope to achieve is authenticity/accuracy to the recording. If the recording is capable of capturing a ‘live’ recording then there is a chance that it can be played back but, if not, then the Hi-Fi can’t magically create that which isn’t there in the first place.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

The sound system went down at a Clive Gregson gig I attended a while back. The venue (Greystones, Sheffield) is an intimate space, so Clive climbed down from the stage and into the middle of the room and performed acoustically for the rest of the show. Even though this venue has a very good sound system (and resident engineer) the acoustic part of the show was pretty special.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast