+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music

I'm Shaun.

I so have to agree with Martin and Josie's comments as for me it was stunningly new with Brian Eno doing his stuff on tracks like 'In every dream home a heartache' and I was only 14 at the time so clearly influenced. The album 'Stranded' is obviously missing Eno's input and influence and the rest go downhill rapidly from there. For me personally their worst output was 'Flesh and Blood' but others that followed were probably just as bad. Even their reunion concert had the synth player apparently triggering samples of Brian Eno's solos from his VCS3 according to the music media of the time but by the album 'Avalon' I had become engrossed in other types of music that sounded way more exciting than an album of Max Bygrave classics.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    For your pleasure is my favorite roxy album... It's got some seriously good tracks.

I got to know this album in the early 90s.

Simply brilliant.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    +1. Their finest by some margin IMO.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I never really got into them and I tend to think they are overrated. I dont warm to Ferry (hes a raving Tory for a start) and thats important when considering a band. Avalon and that later stuff is just soppy drivel in my opinion. I picked up the greatest hits and had to get rid of it because of all the soppy drivel. It was only a quid on vinyl and it didnt change my opinion

The better tracks didnt save it...I wasnt having that in my collection. Eno was the driving force was he not. I just think there is better music out there. Its one of those bands where I dont even want to give them a chance now.
    That's a shame, Bryan speaks highly of you

Their early work is so different (better) to their later stuff, that it must be Ferry's voice that you can't be doing with. Perhaps if you could take a sideways step and listen to something by Phil Manzanera, it might be a step towards appreciating the considerable talents that lay with the rest of the band.

Unless you have already made up your mind, in which case, as you were

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Yes I agree there is something there. Every Dream home is a very good track which I have. All downhill since Eno left is the general feeling I have about them. Im not denying there is talent within the band but Ive got to be in a cheesy hyped mood for the later stuff

I read there was a Ferry Eno feud. I dont really get my rocks off on tracks like love is the drug or do the strand. They are ok but there is something missing for me. Maybe I should be giving all the earlier stuff a good listen.

Its become one of those bands where I just cant be arsed sourcing the albums. As I said I dont warm to Ferry hes a bit of a tory smarmball to me. I know he speaks highly of me so I feel a bit bad

I'm Martin.

Im being over simplistic and this was a good read even from an American perspective.

http://www.thegreatalbums.com/blog/2...xy-music-album

I will have a listen through some albums and see what I make of it

I'm Steve.

Thanks for that Martin, interesting to read an American perspective on Roxy's output. The author seems to like my second and third favourites (Stranded and Avalon), but finds my favourite (For Your Pleasure, by a long way) a bit "out there". Still, be a boring world if we all liked the same.

Warming up the 300b valves to give my vinyl "Stranded" an outing, not played it for a couple of years

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Shaun.

So true Steve, what would be the point if we all liked the same..? There'd be only one band and one sound. My elder sister absolutely loves Avalon and got to see Ferry in Germany many years back but for some of us it just has to be their early sound pretty much like my love of early Genesis. For Your Pleasure is just so bloody energetic when compared to their later stuff and the Eno influence for me just made the band. It's interesting though to read the media about Roxy and how it would appear that Ferry just got pissed off that Eno was way more popular than he was and so sacked him from the band. I don't wonder in interviews that Eno has such a wry smile.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    So true Steve, what would be the point if we all liked the same..? There'd be only one band and one sound. My elder sister absolutely loves Avalon and got to see Ferry in Germany many years back but for some of us it just has to be their early sound pretty much like my love of early Genesis. For Your Pleasure is just so bloody energetic when compared to their later stuff and the Eno influence for me just made the band. It's interesting though to read the media about Roxy and how it would appear that Ferry just got pissed off that Eno was way more popular than he was and so sacked him from the band. I don't wonder in interviews that Eno has such a wry smile.
    Yeah, and you know if you were on a night out with them, Eno would be a good laugh and interesting, and would end up getting a bit wasted, while Ferry would be too busy trying to smarm his way into your bird's knickers. Or maybe that was just the seventies - they don't like being called birds any more

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Adrian.

Earlier this week I traded some unwanted vinyl and in some of those I got was Roxy's 1st album, a 1st pressing NM copy. I know this and most of the Roxy Music albums pretty well having been a fan of them Phil Manzaneera, 801 and Brian Eno offerings since I was 14.

I remember very well my best friend turning up at my parents house clutching a cassette of Roxy Music 1st album, and enthusiastically saying you have to listen to this. I remember it completely took me by surprise and stunned me, there was nothing like it at the time, way ahead of many that followed. Of course Ferry's distinctive vocals had quite a bit to do with it, but it you listen carefully, not only does Eno contribute a lot, but Andy Mackay(Sax/Oboe), Paul Thompson(Drims), Graham Simpson(Bass), and of course Phil Manzanera(guitar) all contribute greatly to the whole to produce the Roxy sound. If you look at their history the core of the band Ferry, Manzaneera, Mackay and Thompson have remained constant, with a brief outage by Thompson 81-83.

Personally I think all their albums have their individual merits. Yes the first two are more distinct probably due to Eno's influence, however I know some here have criticised the later albums but I think sales figure of them says it all really, every later album I believe has charted high here in the UK. If you listen IMO you can hear Roxy Music evolve over time and become more sophisticated and probably due to having more money they have more time in recording studios to get it right and polished. That is not to say I do not think the first two albums are not great they are, they have an immediacy and punch that is compelling.

I think all the Roxy Music albums are good in their own right.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Earlier this week I traded some unwanted vinyl and in some of those I got was Roxy's 1st album, a 1st pressing NM copy. I know this and most of the Roxy Music albums pretty well having been a fan of them Phil Manzaneera, 801 and Brian Eno offerings since I was 14.

I remember very well my best friend turning up at my parents house clutching a cassette of Roxy Music 1st album, and enthusiastically saying you have to listen to this. I remember it completely took me by surprise and stunned me, there was nothing like it at the time, way ahead of many that followed. Of course Ferry's distinctive vocals had quite a bit to do with it, but it you listen carefully, not only does Eno contribute a lot, but Andy Mackay(Sax/Oboe), Paul Thompson(Drims), Graham Simpson(Bass), and of course Phil Manzanera(guitar) all contribute greatly to the whole to produce the Roxy sound. If you look at their history the core of the band Ferry, Manzaneera, Mackay and Thompson have remained constant, with a brief outage by Thompson 81-83.

Personally I think all their albums have their individual merits. Yes the first two are more distinct probably due to Eno's influence, however I know some here have criticised the later albums but I think sales figure of them says it all really, every later album I believe has charted high here in the UK. If you listen IMO you can hear Roxy Music evolve over time and become more sophisticated and probably due to having more money they have more time in recording studios to get it right and polished. That is not to say I do not think the first two albums are not great they are, they have an immediacy and punch that is compelling.

I think all the Roxy Music albums are good in their own right.
    I agree, all of Roxy's output has merit, they only fall down a bit when compared to the early stuff. And over the years their sound became more refined and "radio friendly" and I don't mean that in a bad way.

1972 was the year I got started buying records. And that summer gave us "Silver Machine", "School's Out", "All The Young Dudes" and of Course "Virginia Plain". A good year I think. After buying "Virginia Plain", then "Pyjamarama" I skipped buying the first album and went to "For Your Pleasure", and that was it. The album that defined them for me.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast